New PC, 3x 760's or something new?

Prometheus91

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello all, I recently won a PC in a giveaway (yes, won) and it comes with the following specs:
ASUS M5A97 Motherboard
AMD FX-6300 CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
Dual NVIDIA GTX 760
250GB SSD + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
650W EVGA Gold Power Supply

So I'm well aware that the 760 is getting to the point of being terribly outdated, but currently I'm rocking a 780M in my laptop so I'm not complaining.

Now I know the 650W is going to need to be upgraded if I slap another 760 in there (it's probably pushing it as is), but that's an easy fix.

So here's the debate: I don't want to spend a TON of money, but I'm interested in hearing some discussion on a good GPU to stick in here. It is already going to have brand new 760's in SLI so I'm thinking it might be easiest to just upgrade the PSU and slap another 760 in there. Thoughts?

Prometheus91

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

I really considered this when I first looked at the specs because I'm not a fan of AMD personally. My laptop has an i7 4700MQ which seems to blow the FX-6300 out of the water, but it's looking very pricey to slap in a new mobo with a decent i5/i7 and I'm not sure that it would give much of a benefit during gaming. Thoughts?

edit: Also the FX-6300 has a closed loop liquid cooling circuit on it so I'm hesitant to even touch that since I have no experience with water cooling.

I suggest just LEAVING it the way it is, then TWEAK the games to get the best experience.

Don't buy games that won't run well. For example:

1) should run fine on single GTX760, or
2) support SLI okay and run well on 2xGTX760

MOST of my games would run great on your system.

(I really can't think of what I'd change that helped a lot and wasn't expensive. The CPU is no good. For the Graphics Card you'd need a GTX1060 6GB or better to justify spending the cash and that's about $270USD).