Black screen after quitting fullscreen games...

Spietres

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Same like in the title. It started happening since last update. Whenever I quit or alt-tab a game, the screen turns black and is unresponsive. Task manager, second desktop... nothing works. I'm forced to restart my PC and it gets on my nerve. Means I can't even play the goddamn game without a 100% guaranteed PC reset to see my desktop again.

Am I the only one? Any ideas, what's causing it?

Please help...

Solution
Fair call but I don't play enough games to know about this issue. Considering how many problems can be solved by asking if the person I am helping has the latest drivers, I don't think its beyond any point to stop asking that question. I don't know what the other person has done unless they tell me. I cannot assume anything.

This seems to be an issue for multiple games running on exclusive fullscreen mode. Happens with Child of Light, Rocksmith, The Witcher, Resident Evil Revelations, World of Warships and a few others from what I could see. They all share the same circumstances, and the only way to avoid this issue is to set the game to run on borderless fullscreen mode.

When stuck in this black screen, the only way out is to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tried updating your graphics drivers?

Its how windows runs full screen games, it gives all resources to the game and literally turns off the desktop while game runs, But then it should reappear if you alt tab out. I used to see it in Vista when I would try to get a screen shot and it would come out blank.. cards and machines are much better at hiding it now.

Spietres

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

My drivers are up to date. If anything I can try to reinstall them. I don't know if there's a chance there could be a failure when installing them and it causes those black screens.

But to be completly honest I was hoping for something more than "did you updated drivers" question. It's 2016 and we should move on with those kind of questions. A lot of people are experiencing black screens of death (reset needed) on Windows 10 startup and quitting fullscreen apps after the last Windows 10 anniversary update. If something happened, it was most likely Windows 10 update adding/editing/removing some files, not thousands of people not updating their GPU drivers. Thought someone on this forum was into this topic already.

Cheers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fair call but I don't play enough games to know about this issue. Considering how many problems can be solved by asking if the person I am helping has the latest drivers, I don't think its beyond any point to stop asking that question. I don't know what the other person has done unless they tell me. I cannot assume anything.

This seems to be an issue for multiple games running on exclusive fullscreen mode. Happens with Child of Light, Rocksmith, The Witcher, Resident Evil Revelations, World of Warships and a few others from what I could see. They all share the same circumstances, and the only way to avoid this issue is to set the game to run on borderless fullscreen mode.

When stuck in this black screen, the only way out is to press ctrl+alt+del, and blindly go to the "change user" option ("down" and "enter" after pressing the combo). After logging back into Windows, the issue is gone. Another way of avoiding this issue is to alt+tab from the game, exit it from the taskbar or forcefully killing the process.

I would like to say that this is a problem related only to Windows 10 Anniversary Update. This issue never happened before on previous Windows 10 builds and the reproduction rate of this issue is 100%. If you have an affected machine, this is going to happen every time you exit an affected game. This seems to happen only to a handful of games, so keep that in mind.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/black-screen-issue-for-exclusive-fullscreen-mode/89040af9-c3f9-40d0-a92c-44d1f4c56ab3

I don't have a magic fix. Its obviously a known problem.

Here would be how to reinstall drivers the best way: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Solution

Spietres

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

I understand the point, but I disagree. The ratio of people actually not updating their drivers to those who really tried everything is really small. But I'm not going to argue :)

Thank you for the link! I haven't seen this thread yet and it contains some workarounds.
I hope they work. I will try them next time I encounter the black screen.

Cheers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not everyone who comes here is a tech minded individual who will search for solutions before asking, or check their motherboard makers web site for new drivers before that stage. Sitting in here, I may just see the ones who don't keep PC up to date, Some people don't even know what drivers are for (I was one of them a few years ago)

not arguing, just saying :)