Windows 7 Clean Install hangs with Windows Update

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Okay, Okay. I know that there are several of these out there, and I pretty much found my answer. Problem is, I searched for hours, days, weeks, and even months for fixes on this issue. None of the answers fixed my problem. I would just get another error. So I've had a dozen or so systems running without updates...and after doing my latest fresh install, I can't even update my internet explorer....until now. FINALLY, figured the dang thing out. CURSE YOU M$!!!!

I'll go through the steps I used to figure out the issue. Rather than provide the straight answer, I don't want someone to say "well, I tried your method and it didn't work...but I didn't get the error you got." Sorry bud, that means you didn't have the same problem. Kudos for taking the effort to get it fixed. If you still want the quick version, scroll down to my summary which will list the simplified steps of what to do. Just make sure you're having the same issue first, BEFORE you try this and say it doesn't work.

I visit MicroSoft and other forums, posting my issue. The reply is usually "Upgrade to the latest Windows Update Client" or "Update to the latest version of Internet Explorer". Can't use FixIt anymore since M$ discontinued support for it. Sadly, the tool used to work great, in the past.

I try to download the updates, but the only want to work in internet explorer to access and download. Gotta use another computer for that (Used a Windows 10 machine for that). So I download the updates and run them on the fresh install. Now I get a message "searching for updates on this computer" that I can let sit for a week, and nothing happens.

Back to the forums, I'm told to get the following standalone updates:
KB3050265
KB3065987
KB3102810
KB3135445
KB3138612
KB3161664
KB3020369
KB3172605

Download all the updates for Windows 7 standard x64 on my Win10. Try to install on the WIn7 and "searching for updates on this computer" hangs again. Recently, I was working on another system and had to disable services so I could work on group policy changes, and then it hit me....or I hit my knee under my desk as I jumped up to go to my Win7 system. I limped over and opened up services.msc and disabled "Windows Update". I then went through and ran the standalone updates. They barely lasted 30 seconds and started installing the updates manually. I did each one individually and restarted, before re-opening Services.msc, and verifying that the Windows Update was still stopped/disabled, before installing the next update. After manually updating to IE11, and going through each of the above listed standalone updates using this process, I am able to turn automatic updates back on and have had no issues with any update checks or installations.

[EDIT: 01/20/2017]
As you can read in the comments below, You'll get best results following each of the instructions as listed. Do not skip a step unless an alternative is specifically stated.

SUMMARY:
After you do clean/fresh install of Windows 7 [Doesn't matter the version: Ultimate, Pro, Home Premiume, etc.)

Download all of the following standalone updates from Microsoft. You may need to use another windows system with updated internet explorer:
IE11 Update

KB3050265
KB3065987
KB3102810
KB3135445
KB3138612
KB3161664
KB3020369
KB3172605

-Copy all files to the 'Downloads' folder of the Fresh install system.
-Disable all Hard Disk shutoff, sleep, and hibernation settings
-Disconnect any network connection [**Thank You to NTIGeek]
-Click on 'Start' and type- services.msc
-Scroll down and right click 'Windows Update'
-Select 'Stop'
-Open downloads folder and double click Update 3050265 [Install them in the order listed above as some require the previous as a prerequisite]
-If any update says it is not necessary, skip to the next update
-After the update is installed, restart the system. DO NOT install the next update.
-Once the reboot completes, Open services.msc again, and verify that 'Windows Update' is still stopped or disabled.
-If disabled, install next update in the order listed above, repeating the process until all updates are installed.
-When updates are finished, adjust update settings however, you prefer and run 'Check for Updates'. You may already notice that you have several updates waiting to be installed.

ENJOY!!

Please post if this process worked for you.

UPDATE:
Played around with the process on a few more systems, and I've been able to install the first 5 KB updates without having to reboot. You have to leave Services.msc opened, and stop Windows Update after each update completes. However, you can choose 'Close' in stead of 'Restart Now' for these first 5 updates.

You also do not have to install IE11 update before installing the KB updates, but I do recommend you do. I've noticed that it downloads and installs faster from the Offline Standalone installer, and your first update check seems to run much quicker. Not sure why, but it was observed on multiple machines. Hopefully this makes things a little more efficient.

MilesKRG

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
You are amazing mate! Can't thank you enough :)
I've been trying to fix this for 3 days straight now, followed dozens of guides and 2 remote desktop sessions with Microsoft, each over an hour long and they couldn't fix it. They have elevated my support ticket and going to phone me back tonight lol. The same as you, I couldn't get anything to install, even standalone. Followed your guide and all of a sudden 230 updates available and now installing. Again thank you so much bro!

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
So far I've got this to work on SP1 installs on several various Dell's from Optiplex 790, 3010, 3020, 9020M, 7040M...to Latitude 54xx & 64xx series...XPS 13, 15, Precisions, etc. HP Pavillion, elitebooks & Probooks. Even got it working oncustom builds with ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI mainboards.

This pretty much clinches that the issue is NOT hardware related. It is directly related to M$ Windows Update and the programming of the new Windows Update releases. Glad this worked for someone else. For pretty much every system I've done this on, updates start showing immediately. Even had some show before completing the last few manual updates. I'd still recommend doing the manual updates completely, first. There may be even simpler and easier ways to go about this. However, this method has been pretty safe. Thanks for the reply.

N8Jax

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
:bounce: Thank You Doramius. Your solution worked for my wife's Dell Inspiron N411Z. I had to do a Factory Reset from the thumb drive backup for this computer; after it force updated to Windows 10 which messed up the graphics card or something (screen would bug out). I tried a couple other things in these forums and nothing worked, not even wsusoffline.
I went through all your steps carefully. I restarted after every update. Oh and I did update to IE11 first. Thanks Again.

Digicomm

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Digicomm

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Hi Doramius,
You are a complete double star, having been down the same rubbish journey, your solution has been a success. As I type this, I have over 1.2GB of updates, some 219 to be precise

NTIGeek

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Doramius
I ran across your post I had the same issue with Windows hanging on checking for updates. I have a similar but slightly simpler fix that works for me consistently. I have posted to my site here if you want to check it out. Follow to the letter works every time. Key is NOT to connect the internet even for a second prior to following these steps.
https://www.naplestech.com/windows-hang-fix.html

Thought I would throw it up here, took me a month to figure it out drove me nuts.
Len