Any tips or advice about TV input lag when looking for a TV for pc gaming?

D-Man777

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
I want to link my PC to a big TV for when I cant be bothered to sit at my desk anymore and want to just lay back in my bed with a controller and casually play some games.

I've been looking for a while and had settled on Sony brand TV's as theyre supposed to be the best for gaming.

I recently spied this Hisense TV on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hisense-inch-Widescreen-Smart-Freeview/dp/B01E6GS0PA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474988493&sr=8-2&keywords=4k+tv+hisense

I'm not too bothered about 4k but the price of that TV is exactly the same as the 40 inch non 4k Sony TV i was interested in. The input lag on the hisense is 38ms according to techradar review and I was wondering if this would be too much for games? I'm not sure if input lag is measured differently for TVs and monitors.

I remember playing rocket league on my brothers TV and there was so much input lag it was not worth playing. Jumping to hit a ball only to have it soar over your head and for it to jump a fell second later is not fun.

Just wondering if anyone with knowledge of TVs and their input lag can give me some guidance on what ms I should be looking for at minimum or if the aforementioned 48ms would be fine. Lots of people in the reviews stated they used the Tv for gaming and there was barely noticeable lag.

I do realise that monitors are king but i just want a massive TV to chill with then i get fed up of sitting in my [censored] ikea chair.

I am in the UK so brands like Vizio are unavailable to me. The aforementioned 38ms 4ktv is a hisense one. Sony, Panasonic, and LG are other TV's I am considering. Hisense are apparently a newer Chinese brand that are way cheaper than the competition with good reviews which is why I am considering them.

As I say, I am only looking for a gaming TV for casual play when I just want to chill. I have a 144hz 27 inch monitor I will use when I want to play properly.

Solution
For reference a good gaming monitor has a 5ms response time. 48 or even 38 ms is terrible for gaming. 16ms is about as slow as you want to go before you will definitely notice it.