Help with Variation on "Preparing Automatic Repair" Freeze Bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicalMethuselah

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
Hello there, I'm pretty new here so please forgive me any details I miss.

I have a computer running Windows 10 off of a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard. The internal core is an Intel i7 quad core with 32 GB of RAM. Windows 10 is running off of a Samsung PRO 250 GB SSD. I am having some troubles regarding the "Preparing Automatic Repair" bug that I see a lot of people having. However, mine is a bit different.

Whenever I try to restart my computer, it will go through the POST screen and then land on the Windows logo, and stay there. No spinning dots, no other indication that anything is happening, nothing. If I restart again, it will go back to that screen, except this time with "Preparing Automatic Repair" underneath the logo, and then stay there, again with no spinning dots or other indication of progress. Resetting again brings me back to the Windows logo, without "Preparing Automatic Repair," and so on. I honestly have no idea what is going on, and since I can't get to the Windows command prompt, I can't use the solutions that a ton of people have gotten for a similar loop, where the computer continuously uses automatic repair, fails, and restarts. It's not so much of a loop for me as a freeze.

Can anyone help me? I have spent a few hours trying to find a solution. Most other people are able to get into the Windows Automatic Repair, but mine just sits there, and the computer hasn't moved after at least 12 hours, so I think it's a pretty hard freeze. Thanks for any help you can give.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you want to try things in command prompt, here is how to get to it
change boot order so USB is first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
I would try chkdsk /f as even though you have an SSD, it can still fix the file system.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you want to try things in command prompt, here is how to get to it
change boot order so USB is first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
I would try chkdsk /f as even though you have an SSD, it can still fix the file system.

Solution

MusicalMethuselah

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

Thanks colif, I can get to the command prompt! When I try chkdsk /f, it says, "the type of the file system is nfts. Cannot lock current device. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected." Is there anything else that I can try?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you make a new thread with details of problem, as well as details of your PC, and I will see what I can do if you show a link here :)

Adding it here means only those who already answered this thread will reply. More eyes in your own question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.