Page fault in nonpaged area endless loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
My computer keeps crashing and I keep getting "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart you."

Page fault in nonpaged area

I have a feeling my computer is done for, I'm trying to restart and pressing f8 to follow the steps provided on the page shown below to fix the issue, but I have gotten the same loop of error message>restarting>error message>restarting etc for the past 45 mins. I can't seem to get out of the loop.

http://www.technicalnotes.org/how-to-fix-page-fault-in-nonpaged-area-best-fixes/

My question is, should I replace everything or are there any parts that I can keep to save $$

These are my specs:
CPU - AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Mother board - MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case - NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (Came with 1 fan)
Power Suply - Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Or if you can tell me how to fix the issue that would be even better however, that's not looking likely :(

PS. I removed the RAM and reinserted it, however that did not help. I'm pretty sure its the drivers that are the issue but I can't load in to fix them.

I appreciate the help!

Solution
If you do have a driver updater, then you probably have an issue with a bad drivers as Colif pointed out above. If you can keep it running long enough, reinstall the motherboard drivers from MSI's website and check to see if you have the latest AMD graphics driver.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running http://www.memtest86.com/ on ram, its slightly more scientific

page faults are memory errors which might be hardware or just as likely old drivers. Download Live Update 6 and run it to see what drivers need replacing: Win 8 drivers (yes, I know, its win 10 but motherboard doesn't appear to have win 10 drivers so these will do)

download and run who crashed: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it looks at bsod and gives a summary

copy/paste here

th3p00r

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016
Try F8 then log on onto windows, run msconfig then click on the startup tab. uncheck any program(s) that you don't know (maybe dump..). Then right click on Computer-->properties-->Advance-->At the performance, click settings-->Advance-->At Virtual Memory, click change-->uncheck Automatically-->select c:\ drive-->select system manage-->click on set-->ok, restart computer.

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Unfortunately the system will not let me get into my home page to try what colif suggested, I am currently attempting a system restore to see if that helps. If it does not then I will try the other two suggestions. I will keep you posted. I'm starting to think I will just have to replace my system, however I'd like to know if I have to replace everything or if there are some things I can keep?

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk /f /r C: and press enter - this will fix errors on hdd

Page file errors either drivers, hdd or possibly ram. its hard to tell without a dump file.

the non paged area is generally ram, the paged area is hdd if I not mistaken. IT doesn't mean problem is hardware though, it can be drivers as I said.

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 9/27/2016 6:49:16 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092716-29078-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A0B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF800C748EA70, 0x10, 0xFFFFF800C748EA70, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 9/27/2016 6:49:16 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dtldrvprotect64.sys (DtlDrvProtect64+0x6EAE)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF800C748EA70, 0x10, 0xFFFFF800C748EA70, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: dtldrvprotect64.sys .
Google query: dtldrvprotect64.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

What is dtldrvprotect64.sys ?

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I'm kind of scared of restarting my computer. It finally let me in. I've been on for about 25 mins and so far it hasn't crashed. Should I try the other suggestions mentioned above?

The first dump is a general system fault that could be caused by any number of things. The second references a process related to the program DriveTheLife. I have no idea what this software is or does (driver updates?) but I would start by uninstalling it. As long as the PC is running, I would also run Malwarebytes and a couple of online virus scans and go from there.

scrippie10

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone. It just kicked me off mid malware bytes scan. However this time it is letting me back in. I will try to run malawarebytes once more and see what's going on... Nope it just kicked me off again almost immediately after loading in

If you do have a driver updater, then you probably have an issue with a bad drivers as Colif pointed out above. If you can keep it running long enough, reinstall the motherboard drivers from MSI's website and check to see if you have the latest AMD graphics driver.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.