New Upgrade - Looking for 4k advice

gghilliard

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have just ordered the parts for a new upgrade and was thinking that, now that I can, I should also upgrade to 4K. I have been doing some reading and it looks like Asus ROG Swift PG27AQ and Acer Predator XB271HK for IPS panels are leading the pack. Also the Acer XB280HK looks good for a cheaper TN option. I was kind of leaning towards the IPS panels, but was wondering if anyone out there has more info as to which will give me a better gaming experience. My budget is around $1000. Here is what the rest of the upgrade looks like:

Asus Z170-A
Intel core I7 6700k (probably will do a gentle OC)
16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Corsair H100i closed loop liquid cooler
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 A8G ROG Strix 1670/1809 MHz

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not stuck on one option and am flexible.

Thanks

Solution
It is good, I would probably go ahead and spend the extra on the XB271HU, should have the G-sync 2.0 module (gets you an HDMI port, that you can use as an additional input)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For a better gaming experience, avoid 4K and invest in a 'gamer' 2560x1440 144hz monitor.

A single 1080 can do around 50FPS in 4K on decently high settings, but that is quickly going to start slipping as new games come out. If you are okay with that, and upgrading your GPU fairly soon, then it is fine.

As for IPS vs TN when it comes to 4K, the price difference is self evident. The TN panels will be faster, but won't be as good for viewing angles and colors. If you intend more then gaming and media consumption, then the IPS is probably the way to go.