Computer running very slowly since recent update (updated 9/28)

mdodge2007

Distinguished
May 9, 2015
I have been having issues since the recent update to windows 10 (believe the one from sept 20). I primarily use my pc for gaming and have had noticeable lag spikes and general slowness of my pc in general since this update. Is there anything I can do to speed it back up? I have tried checking to see if there were any driver updates for my hardware but everything says it is up to date.

Edit: after further digging I have found that the process Windows Shell Experience Host is using close to 500MB of my computer's memory. I understand this to be way higher than it should be and that it may be negatively impacting my experience. I have disabled Automatically picking an accent color from background, transparency settings for taskbar, and do not use a slideshow background. These were listed as the most common solutions to fixing this issue. Doing all these things has made no impact on this process' memory usage. Is there something else I can try to see if that helps out?

Solution
Did you see this link?

http://www.howtogeek.com/272930/what-is-windows-shell-experience-host-and-why-is-running-on-my-pc/

Seems as if you may have....

However, there are a variety of related links that also come up via a google search.

Anyway, finding a fix for your particular situation and setup may require some additional searching to find things that have helped others with the same problem.

Unfortunately about all I can suggest at this juncture is to try a few of the other fixes that have worked elsewhere. Hopefully one of them will work for you.

Please keep posting as someone else may spot something in your results that will further narrow things down.

Ralston18

Titan
Check your network configuration first. Make sure everything is still as it should be prior to the update.

If you are certain the problem is within your pc then there are a number of things you can do.

Possibly some service or process not working properly due to some bug or conflict.

Use Task Manager, Performance Monitor, and Resource Monitor to look at what all is running on your computer and what may be consuming some unusual amount of CPU time, memory, or disk activity, etc..

See what you find and then selectively stop any suspect services or processes. Probably best to look up that process and service online to make sure that you understand what it is and what it is doing.

mdodge2007

Distinguished
May 9, 2015

I have done what you have suggested, my findings are posted in the above update to my original post. Any suggestions?

GauthamReddy

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
http://www.howtogeek.com/272930/what-is-windows-shell-experience-host-and-why-is-running-on-my-pc/

A Bad Anti Virus also slows the system...

What is your system Configuration?

Ralston18

Titan
Did you see this link?

Seems as if you may have....

However, there are a variety of related links that also come up via a google search.

Anyway, finding a fix for your particular situation and setup may require some additional searching to find things that have helped others with the same problem.

Unfortunately about all I can suggest at this juncture is to try a few of the other fixes that have worked elsewhere. Hopefully one of them will work for you.

Please keep posting as someone else may spot something in your results that will further narrow things down.

Solution

mdodge2007

Distinguished
May 9, 2015

That how to geek article was the same one I had already found and tried what they had in there. As far as system configuration, I'm sorry, but can you be a little more specific about what you are looking for?