Is my motherboard failing? or something else...

Sentnl

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Good Evening!

I've been over a few of the stickies and some other #solved threads, but I need a little advice from the community here.

I recently started experiencing my screen go black when gaming, which then turned into a freeze while idle, in bios, before start up.. just randomly. I went through all the regular motions that I could, until the freezes came so quick that I barely had time to run any tests. Much prior to this event, I was experiencing display adapter errors.

I think I've ruled out the RAM, as I have changed them out with other sticks, used one at a time, switched them around, etc - Problem persisted.

I think I've ruled out the HDD because I've disconnected it and the freeze still came about on the 'select boot' prompt.

I have now removed the GPU and am running on board graphics for the last 3 hours without an issue... So I think I may have also ruled out the CPU?

I would love some help in which direction to go in now.. in order to rule out either the PSU, Mobo or GPU as the source of the problem... Do I have a dying GPU? Are my PCI-e slots fudged? Is my PSU old and dying?

Much thanks!

gtx 670
asrock z77 extreme 4
2x8gb ram
650 watt 80% cpu

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Sounds like a GPU problem.

Under the regular motions, you include driver update/ rollback, virus scan and re-seating gpu?

If you do have issues on the on-board you may want to remove the nvidia drivers. Either through windows standard or DDU.

Then there is something you can do to check mobo/slot failure.
The Z77 extreme 4 has 2 pcie * 16 slots.
Pop the GPU in the other one and see if it runs on the other one.
If it's the same issue I'd say the GPU being busted is pretty conclusive.

Oh actually, check to see if you're getting 12V on your 12V line in BIOS.

Sentnl

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Used DDU, twice. PC is clean, reseated multiple times, in both pcie slots, and the 12v is within expected allowance. On board has been working fine since I posted with no sign of any problems...

How do you rule out the PSU/Mobo completely? I guess I would need a second card to stick in there...

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012

Yup, that'd be the last step.

If you can't do that though I'd say you're >95% there on GPU being the problem though.