windows 10, Page fualt in non paged area, frequent BSOD only on cold boots

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
so this problem is beginning to grow on me and its driving me insane. although i can do anything and everything. play GTAV maxed out all day with no problems its bugging me i often have to wait for my computer to boot up twice!.

heres the problem: on a cold boot, and this happens about 80 percent of the time, i get to the windows 10 spinning boot logo dots. almost gets done and then boom! there is the BSOD screen oops i crashed. collecting some data and will reset. the reported error code on the screen flips between:

Page Fault in NON page area

NTFS.sys failed

mostly i see the page fault error.

so these are the specs of my machine:
windows 10 Educational
primary drive is OS is Samsung Pro SSD
secondary drive for my applications and documents is caviar black HDD
i5 4690K no overclock
Gigabyte G1.sniper Z97 mobo rev 1.X
16 GB of ram Corsair
AMD R9 290

I recently and finally about a month ago made the jump to windows 10. this computer was solid forever! on windows 7.
i did a clean install. installed from a disk. did a clean install and formatted the solid state.
of course all drivers where installed via the web and the latest. my understanding was old drivers could have caused this but in my scenario it just cant be. this was a clean and recent set up.

here is what i have tried so far:
-changed back and forth page file settings between automatic let windows manage vs self set
-Re-seated Ram (even though for months and probably years was stable on windows 7)
-memory diagnostics tool was ran and found no problems
-ChkDSK command was run and found no issues
-factory reset of bios was performed (Dont ask me why just running out of things to try)
-lastly i just did a repair install and still no change to my problem

my motherboard has Debug LED on it. i notice at times it will and usually during this crash the (D4) error code. i looked this up and its for (ran out of resources issue) sounds directly related to this page file/fault whatever BSOD issue.

again once my computer is on its 100 percent solid. i wrote this entire post on the troubled machine. and i can game or whatever all day. i can even perform a restart.. over and over with no problem.. but if i power off the machine. come back at a later time and power on. there is a good 80 percent chance i will boot to a BSOD and watch it restart it self and then its fine.. so annoying watching my computer need to boot twice to turn on.

on a side note i will add at times i swear turning off this machine takes forever!. seems like the shutdown process doesn't work right

note: I used Bluescreen view to dive into the last 3 crash dump files. it highlights the same 1 and only file each time.... NTOSKRNL.EXE hope this maybe helps?

Solution
Win 10 uses ram differently to previous versions. For one it compresses closed programs into ram instead of closing them to hdd, just in case you want to use them again. Thats while its on, if you have it set to fast startup it will also use the ram when its "off". Win 10 doesn't turn off when you shut it down, it suspends half the opening things into ram and the other half onto hdd. So win 10 uses your ram all the time, and perhaps it is just tougher on ram compared to previous windows.

It seems odd that memtest didn't find one error, perhaps its a physical problem not tied into the actual ram cells, that causes it to stop bios in its tracks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Page fault in non paged area is a memory error. The non paged area is ram.

Try running http://www.memtest86.com/ on your ram sticks Any errors are too many, you don't want to see even one.

NTOSKRNL = New Technology Operating System Kernel - Essentially, if it stops, so does windows. One of its many jobs is to deal with driver requests or data. If it gets bad requests or data, it will crash.

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

i can dig out the box and get the numbers off it. but to quickly answer your question, i purchased these as a single box set... my 2 sticks were sold as a 2x 8GB set total 16gb so they are identical

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

After a number of hours of running memtest from a usb drive... results turned out 100 percent zero problems

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
i think my issue is growing... normally i can always let it BSOD allow it to restart and its fine. today it couldnt load windows at all. got to windows system restore and was able to get back to working again. this time the error was bad pool header?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you got the latest bios? does the ssd use magician? Only ask as I am curious about its smart score more than anything.

You can turn off fast start up and avoid the error that way, since you say restarts are fine. The way win 10 works is shutdown actually means hibernate. But you can change that: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

can you download and run whocrashed: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will give us a summary of the BSOD

Copy/past results here

Can you also follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

i did actually just update my bios last night to see if that would fix the issue still crashing

here is a current crash bump file i had from just the other night from the same file
http://www.filedropper.com/092916-7281-01

i did read up on windows 10 fast boot and i have unchecked its funtionality. no change in performance.

i do have Samsung magician installed. to my knowledge it should also be the latest version.
i ran the S.M.A.R.T function to see if it showed any problems.. all stats showed OK and drive clames its good status.

i will work on getting whocrashed report here next.

also currently running with 1 ram dimm at a time.. splitting up my ram sticks to see if any difference occurs. memory tests showed all good but im still trying 1 8gb stick at a time.

something i wanted to add. the last couple crashes. i seem to keep seeing different BSOD errors displaying.
last few i seen was Pool Corruption in file area, also FLTMGR.sys failed. and of course the first few i see the most page fault in non page area... and NTFS.sys fail

Colif

Win 11 Master
FltMgr.sys is a “system” file used by Windows to help control various aspects of your hard drives & files. Its official name is the “Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager” and its main duty in the operating system is make sure that the data written to the hard drive is correct and not corrupted. The fltmgr.sys error is caused when Windows cannot read or process files that are on the hard drive, usually because the File System Manager is damaged or unreadable. If this is the case, it can cause hard drives to stop working and the blue screen to appear.

NTFS.sys = New Technology File System. Its what windows has been running on for last 16 years. Its what replaced DOS, its what windows uses to manage the hard drives.

they still all data errors

right click start menu
open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk C: /f
it will display two paragraphs, type Y to have it run at start up

What its doing is checking and fixing file system

can also do this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

this scans system files and may fix this behaviour

Try running Data Life Guard for windows on your WD hard drive, it might be that one and not the SSD: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en - run short and extended tests

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

i had ran the Chkdsk command originally and found no issue. i believe i also checked the file system. i can try this again. in the meantime i think i solved it. running 1 Dimm switch so far. the first stick crashed my bios and refused to post a few times... flipping to the other dimm, so far i have had 6 successful boot up and no issues. leads me to believe i have a bad ram dimm or dimm slot. throughout the weekend i will keep power cycling and watching behavior. next i plan to move the same dimm into a different slot and make sure the motherboard slots are fine. lastly reinsert the matching stick back to 16GB and see if my problem comes back. its so weird because memtest86 returned no errors. i do have to always manually set the clocks in the bios. from day 1. and this was like 2 years ago the motherboard never could auto detect them right. default ran them at 1200 mhz i believe. i always had to set the clocks and multiplier for the correct 9-10-9-27 and 1866. my settings were stable for several months so im sure it was done correctly. super strange coincidence that 2 weeks if that into windows 10 the ram or motherboard crapped?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 uses ram differently to previous versions. For one it compresses closed programs into ram instead of closing them to hdd, just in case you want to use them again. Thats while its on, if you have it set to fast startup it will also use the ram when its "off". Win 10 doesn't turn off when you shut it down, it suspends half the opening things into ram and the other half onto hdd. So win 10 uses your ram all the time, and perhaps it is just tougher on ram compared to previous windows.

It seems odd that memtest didn't find one error, perhaps its a physical problem not tied into the actual ram cells, that causes it to stop bios in its tracks.

Solution

gt4130bmx

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015

going to be ordering a new set of ram, faster then waiting for warranty replacements. eventually i will sell the replacements. after using my 1 stable ram stick and numerous boot cycles on 1 dimm slot and also confirming stable on the second dimm slot. finally put the matching pair back in and booted right into a BSOD. just have 1 bad ram stick despite using the latest version of memtest 86 did not flag any problems.

thanks for the help to all