Is 1440p 144hz Worth It?

Aura_Nightheart

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I will be building a new PC in February or March, and I know there will probably be newer monitors by then, but I'm planning ahead as I figure the monitor market can't have changed too too much by then. My friend (who has never owned anything higher than a 1080p 60hz monitor, but neither have I) says that even if I go for 1440p with a GTX 1080 or even a 1080Ti when it is released (since it seems to have been sort-of/kind-of confirmed) that it will not be worth it to go for 144hz G-Sync as well. He says that humans can't see beyond 60hz and that a 144hz G-Sync monitor is a waste of my money.

Basically- is this true? Would it be worth it for me to go for 1440p 144hz with a GTX 1080/GTX 1080Ti?

Solution
humans (or any other animal) do not see frames - we see continuous image that is interpreted by our brain.
If you play fast games like first person shooters, you will see huge difference between 60 and 100Hz. Beyond that, it becomes less obvious.
Basically we can distinguish (in certain conditions) even over 200Hz. Watch that video that also explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w
Regarding your assumption about monitors. This year, they supposed to start having DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 ports to allow higher refresh rates on higher resolutions. For example to have 4K@120Hz monitors.
Since you are going to look for a monitor in a few month, I'd recommend to look at 34" 2560x1440 beauties when they start appear with 75+ Hz at...

dracomax

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
You can see beyond 60 hz. You can't perceive each frame beyond that speed but you can pick up on the "smoothness" factor.

Also, if you're going to be dabbling in 3d, a 120 hz monitor can display at 60 hz for each eye (for lack of a better term). So it really depends on your usage as to whether the price point is worth it.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I wouldn't say it is impossible to see, I would say you likely won't notice the lack of 144Ghz. I run my games windows and swap between a 60Hz and 144Hz monitor and don't notice. Of course I'm also not looking for it either. I don't play many games where I can keep the frame rate over 60FPS much less 144FPS where I'd care. I'd be more interested in color accuracy, response time, resolution, black/white levels. Personally I'd always opt for response times first(time it takes to display), then resolution, then color accuracy and black/white levels, then refresh rate.

But there are those diehard refresh rate guys who can apparently spot the different between 120Hz and 144Hz so I guess it is a per person thing.

Basically, once you have it you may notice moving backwards

humans (or any other animal) do not see frames - we see continuous image that is interpreted by our brain.
If you play fast games like first person shooters, you will see huge difference between 60 and 100Hz. Beyond that, it becomes less obvious.
Basically we can distinguish (in certain conditions) even over 200Hz. Watch that video that also explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w
Regarding your assumption about monitors. This year, they supposed to start having DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 ports to allow higher refresh rates on higher resolutions. For example to have 4K@120Hz monitors.
Since you are going to look for a monitor in a few month, I'd recommend to look at 34" 2560x1440 beauties when they start appear with 75+ Hz at sane price of ~700-800$ - about a price of good 1440p@144hz monitor.

Solution