Dell u2515h vs Samsung C24FG70

Kaiketsu

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Hello,

I'm looking for a new monitor and after much thought I limit myself to those two: the respected u2515h and the upcoming (should be available in october) C24FG70.

Keep in mind that I don't really care for 144hz, despite gaming a lot, so it's not a big plus for me (I can see the difference, it just doesn't really strike me as awesome - a bit smoother, but hell, I always use motion blur since it feels more immersive, so I don't care for it that much).

However, what the Samsung offers is a VA panel, with 3000:1 contrast, so it should easily destroy the Dell's crappy IPS contrast.

On the other hand, the Dell is slightly bigger and offers a 1440p resolution, which does tend to crisp up the display a bit. Just a bit, though. I noticed that in some games (like Witcher 3?) it's really hard to notice a difference, even between FHD and 4K, lol. On the other hand, some games, like Grim Dawn, do offer a noticeable quality improvement even when jumping "just" from FHD to 1440p.

Keeping all that in mind... which would you recommend personally? It should be also noted that Samsung monitor will be +50% more expensive compared to u2515h.

If only there was a 24-25inch 1440p 60hz VA panel available somewhere... sigh. But IIRC it does not exist.

Solution
1. I prefer IPS panels for color reproduction
2. I didn't like any of the samsungs displays and I find Dell's displays done right. Accurate color, great ergonomics, none has ever failed me.
3. you stated that you couldn't care less about 144Hz (and Dell can be manually set to 75-80Hz)
4. it is almost half the price.

As a side note, If you are considering to pay ~600$ for the samsung, why not to get Dell U3415W (3440x1440) for about the same money ? much more fun ;)
1. I prefer IPS panels for color reproduction
2. I didn't like any of the samsungs displays and I find Dell's displays done right. Accurate color, great ergonomics, none has ever failed me.
3. you stated that you couldn't care less about 144Hz (and Dell can be manually set to 75-80Hz)
4. it is almost half the price.

As a side note, If you are considering to pay ~600$ for the samsung, why not to get Dell U3415W (3440x1440) for about the same money ? much more fun ;)

Solution

Kaiketsu

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Thanks for elaborating :)

I believe this particular Samsung is set to cost 450$ vs. Dell's 350$ so the price difference isn't that big. U3415W costs much more (almost 700$).

I understand what you mean by not liking Samsung's displays, I also am not very fond of them. Basically what gets me interested in this particular case is the VA panel (3000:1 contrast, so darker blacks, etc) and 125% sRGB coverage (which should translate to a fairly nice display, unless they botch the color accuracy resulting in a poor deltaE).

Basically what scares me off the Samsung is the curvature (I find it unnecessary), pricetag (a little high for a FHD monitor) and Samsung brand, but there is basically no other VA around. The only one I'm aware of, EIZO FG2421, is no longer produced or sold.

Cheers :)

those whatever to whatever contrast numbers are not that representing in real life scenarios.
Also, with 1440p you will have much better image than 1080p.
With 24" 1080p i have to get to 1 meter viewing distance to be able to look at the text without it make me want to vomit :)
A smart thing would be going to a store and checking both monitors and than decide what you like more.

Kaiketsu

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
I have to agree on the text, I'm sitting 60cm in front of my 2nd screen, it does look a bit grainy on the FHD from such distance (24" screen).

I also heard that the differences between IPS and VA aren't that noticeable in daylight, and I don't use the screen without at least a roomlight. For nights & movies, I use a trusty plasma TV with amazing black levels :)

That being said, while I'm not a huge fan of 144hz, it may be somewhat beneficial for the eyes, no? IIRC faster refresh rate means less eyestrain.

But so far I do agree with your points, u2515h does seem slightly more interesting to me as well. The samsung does have one thing that may be worth checking out tho (when it's released): the Quantum Dot backlight :)

Kaiketsu

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Why not a 4K 40 TV then? it's actually the same size as 34inch ultrawide. it also (usually) destroys it completely in image quality. It's also cheaper (!) and, well, can also do 4K which is nice for netflix and such. New TVs usually also offer refresh rates around 100+ hz.

And if you want to play ultrawide, you just letterbox the ultrawide on it via, say, nvidia control panel which allows you to force a custom resolution. Sure, you have black bars,but the dimensions of the actual image are the exact same and you can treat the black bars as big bezels.

To be perfectly honest, I see 0 sense in ultrawide if you can get that out of a 4K TV (and much more) for either a comparable, or even lower price. I mean, except for G-sync, the Acer X34 has absolutely nothing on one of the new SUHD TVs Samsung made. You can play ultrawide on them, they absolutely destroy the x34 in image quality and can also display 4K, which the X34 absolutely can't do.

Do people hate black bars that much? :p

As for my own dilemmas, I think I'll pick the Dell u2515h for now and in a year or two, get myself a 4K TV to act as a PC monitor. And letterbox the ultrawide out of it for games where it works best, haha ^__^ I just need a deeper desk, since 60cm distance to the screen may actually not work too well with a gargantuan TV like that :p

Almost all TVs have 60Hz panels and faking up to 1000Hz with flickering the lights.
It's also not good for gaming as any post processing by the TV/Monitor introduces input lag. tested myself on 55" Sony TV in living room. Unless set on Game mode (which disables any post processing) there is noticeable input lag.
Anyway, the point of UW monitor is to have much more horizontal area which is much moire convenient for our eyes. max size of 16:9 that i feel comfortable with on my desk is 27-29". and 34" is stretched 29" :)
As for the clarity, the 34" 3440x1440 has enough pixel density for my 70-90cm viewing distance.
A friend has Dell U3412W overclocked to 75Hz and I absolutely loved it for gaming, movies and text. Just think it would be smarter to get one with DP 1.4 and native support for higher refresh rates :)

Kaiketsu

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Ah, I see.

Did your friend manage to OC the Dell's U34 without it skipping frames? I heard that it's not possible?

it's described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/41a4tn/dell_u3415w_overclock/

we tried it all the way up to 80Hz and it worked w/o frame skips.
though we settled on 72Hz (24x3) for perfect movies experience :)
I also seen that some people had issue with overclocked monitors and that's partially the reason I'm waiting for one with native support.