GPU Upgrade Recommendations

DimitrisMel

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded my PC by changing the Motherboard, CPU and RAM. My GPU is next and I was wondering what a balanced choice would be.
After the upgrade my specs are:

Motherboard: H110M PRO-VD
CPU: Intel i3-6100 @ 3.7Ghz
Ram: Single 8GB DDR4 @ 2133Mhz
PSU:Thermaltake TR2-470 which gives 470 Watts of power
Storage: OCZ Vortex2 SSD 120GB + WD Caviar 1TB @ 7200 rpm
Monitors: Dual LG 24" LED Monitors 1080p @ 60Hz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5750

My question is obviously not which is the best graphics card money can buy, but what a good GPU would be for my system, because in my understanding right now it's the bottleneck of it. For the people asking what I want to do with it, my answer is some general gaming (which I won't play in the highest graphics with this PC, I know it) I just want to take advantage of the whole system, since my GPU is keeping me back. Also in your recommendations I'd like you to take under consideration if I have to change my PSU, so I can take it into account for the overall cost of the upgrade. I'd like to keep the one I have if possible. As for the price range I will not set one since I want to hear all the options.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. After the GPU upgrade, adding another 8GB of RAM and buying a bigger and faster PCI-E SSD are next when I have the money.

DimitrisMel

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Thank you both for your answers. I believe the GTX 1060 and the RX 480 are a little overkill for this system. I mean I will probably change the PSU, but I'm not going to change my CPU again, so won't both of those cards perform as good as the CPU does? What I mean is will I be able to tell the difference between i.e the RX 480 and the RX 460 if I keep this CPU or are they all going to be limited by the i3 performance? This is the reason I asked for a balanced solution so that my CPU or my SSD doesn't become the bottleneck and I save some money in the process ;)

SammChisnall

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
To be honest it depends on what games you play, with the i3 being the newer architecture i wouldnt think it would bottleneck a 470/480 too much, even if it does with the price that RX 480's and 1060's are being sold for such a low price, you can probably get a hold of an RX 480 for the same price as some older less powerful cards. On the other hand the RX460/GTX1050 can both hold their own and are decent cards. It all comes down to budget and the games you play.

The 460 is good for medium settings , the 470/480 are good for ultra.

That essentially is the difference.

Your i3 won't be a limiting factor for any card up to the 1070 really.

If you're happy with medium settings at 50-60fps by all accounts plump for the 460.
Its a budget starter going GPU but a decent one for the money , the 1060/470/480 are substantially better though.

On your PSU though you can't really run anything more than a 6 pin card.
That puts the 470/480 out of the options IMO.

DimitrisMel

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

That's interesting, I didn't know the 6100 could do that much. As for the PSU I'm leaning towards the THERMALTAKE SPS-630MPCBEU or the MS-TECH MS-N920-VAL-CM