Infosec Hopeful. Ways to gain experience in the field?

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hey guys,

So I am currently enrolled in an Information Security program at my local community college. I already have a bachelor's degree in Political Science and History, but after working in the field (specifically law) I have decided that this just isn't for me. I know its kind of late in the game for me to make such a change(maybe not, I'm only 25), but I have been studying IT and absolutely love it. I already have my A+, right now I am studying for the Network+, and I plan to get my Security+, Ethical Hacking, CCNA, and CCNA+ Security certifications.

While I am doing this are there any ways that I can gain experience in the field? Its kind of hard for me to do an internship because I work during the day (local government) and go to school at night. Though there are some days when I have some spare time, and I am off on weekends. Does anybody have any ideas for me? I would greatly appreciate it. Also, any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

I have actually been in talks with my supervisor and the office manager of my building about doing exactly that. They are interested in having me train with their MIS department for a few months. The only issue is actually getting this to happen. Bureaucracy can be a real slow moving process, even with something so seemingly simple.