Getting into white hat hacking.

NoPuhi

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
So ive been fiddling around with computers my whole life. I have 3 official years of computer repair experience under my belt and much more that i obtained on my own accord. Fixing my own computer problems, friends and family asking me to fix they'r own PC's...

I lately discovered DEF CON and have been watching the presentations on youtube.
For those of you who dont know what DEF CON is, its basically a hacking convention. Every year they organize a meetup, bring some speakers to talk about they'r accomplishments and experiences and so on and so forth... Everything a normal convention has.
I have gained an interest for this type of stuff and would like to participate in it but i dont have a clue where to start, where to gather knowledge so im hoping to find some pointers here. Maybe
someone can point me in the right direction to get the ball rolling.

Im not very interested in black hat hacking. Mainly because i dont want to put myself in a situation where im basically in <mod edit> creek without a paddle. Also i really woldnt know what to do. I played with keyloggers before, infected some friends PC's with them but ultimately it was all for a few giggles. No one got hurt. I did some practical jokes like logging into theyr social media and changing pictures or info to something silly. I did inform my victims of my acts and helped them get rid of the infection. These were all close friends of mine so they didnt take it so seriously and had understanding. We shared a laugh.

I have just started to learn a programming language as i understand that most digital hacking requires knowing a couple of languages. I started free courses on codecademy.com. They provide some basic starter courses for people who are interested in coding.
Aside from languages, i really dont know what or where should i look to further progress.

Solution
That actually does sound like a lot of fun and i think i'm going to look into it too!
I did find this:
https://www.cybrary.it/video/phases-penetration-testing-intro/

there are a bunch of other free courses it looks like too
I would just google "White hat hacking free course" to start and see what you find

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
That actually does sound like a lot of fun and i think i'm going to look into it too!
I did find this:
https://www.cybrary.it/video/phases-penetration-testing-intro/

there are a bunch of other free courses it looks like too
I would just google "White hat hacking free course" to start and see what you find

Solution