GNU/Linux Which Distribution Should I use?

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
I am currently in my first of two Linux+ classes designed to prepare us for the CompTIA Linux+ certs, Linux admin, and also to get us prepared for CEH which is coming next fall semester. My question would be which distribution would be best without installing something that is going to drown me and that I don't know how to use to its full functionality yet like Kali? I am looking to use an install similar to what I would see in maybe a corporate setting as an Admin so I'm thinking Fedora (similar to Red Hat) and SUSE is also used in the enterprise market if I'm not mistaken as well, correct? Also, any tips, tricks, hints, or suggestions on how to master the CLI and ways to practice?

thing is there free I use mint and Ubuntu ,but there all easy to download burn the iso to a dvd [live bootable ] and try them out ..

don't even need to install on a hard drive until your ready and got one you seem to like .. then if you fiond you don't like it well just grab another one
its not like 100 bucks a copy like windows free to down load and use as much as many times as you want

[for example ]

Linux Mint can be thought of as filling the same role as Microsoft's Windows, Apple's
Mac OS, and the free BSD OS. Linux Mint is also designed to work in conjunction with
other operating systems (including those listed above), and can automatically set up a
“dual boot” or “multi-boot” environment (where the user is prompted as to which
operating system to start at each boot-up) during its installation.
Linux Mint is a great operating system for individuals and for companies.

You can download the Linux Mint operating system for free. It comes as an ISO file
which you need to burn to a blank DVD. The liveDVD is then bootable and provides a
fully-functional operating system which you can try without affecting your PC. In
layman's terms, when you put Linux Mint on a DVD and place it into your computer, you
can try it out while leaving your current system intact.

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_18.0.pdf

just pick your poison and give them a try

just to add grab a few dvd's and burn a live copy of each one ? go to class with a nice selection of distros to use as needed or maybe the instructor has a preferred one of the say 4 we recommended to use and your ready to go with it ?

I got 3 live dvd's ready to use 1- mint - 2ed unbuntu - 3ed debian and on the 4th elementary [never use it yet ]

so with that you have 4 or as many as you want OS's ready to use or install and maybe share with the rest of the class of a project on the differences between them ??

why not contact the school/ class instructor and see what they want you to use ?? or like said just have several copy's of live dvd's ready on hand to use ?

theres so many and recommendations come down to end user personal experience opinions on whats better or best ??

theres so many and recommendations come down to end user personal experience opinions on whats better or best ??

Op is taking linux+ classes and studying for comptia and various certification. That means redhat (centos is the community version) or maybe debian. Certainly not linux mint or some other off shoot derivative.

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Why not install arch the arch way? Yes you will sacrifice a weekend in the process, but at the end of it, you will know A LOT more about Linux and how it works.

Debian is what I would recommend. You will see a lot of servers running on it.