Typical question about untypical CPU (Bottleneck)

Arek188

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Hello everyone.

Like title says i have a question about my CPU and Bottleneck. So i have a occasion to buy a second Evga SC+ 980 Ti for pretty good price. I have I7 870 (stock 2.93 ghz) witch i have overclock to 3.5 ghz and i don't see any bottleneck on one card. In few day i will receive water cooling system for CPU with that it will be possible to oc it to 4.0 ghz. And the question is will my cpu at 4.0 ghz bottleneck this 2 cards ?

Thank you for any answer.

ps. PSU i have is Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W, mobo Maximus III Formula

In some cases, yes. In others, no. It depends on the game, on your graphical settings, and on what your framerate expectations are.

If the bottleneck occurs at above 60fps, and you only have a 60hz monitor, it's pointless to worry about it.

Arek188

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

Ohh i forgot to write, i have 144hz monitor and i aiming to play only at 1080p with 100fps + if it possible. In most cases i already have 90+ but you know... second card in future will be not bad power boost i think, and lot of games on this days use advantage of SLI

Arek188

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

Hmm so i would be pretty wise to upgrade mobo and CPU then... , anyway i must still think about it and thank you for answer.

Your CPU sets the upper bounds for your framerates, which will vary from game to game and scene to scene in each game. To hit your target framerates you can always lower your graphical settings, until the point where your CPU is what's limiting the framerates, because CPU limtations are affected by virtually none of the settings available in-game.

A GPU upgrade generally allows you to run at higher graphical settings, but will not affect the upper limit of framerates you can achieve.

Arek188

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

Understood. So i will skip buying second card for now and look for descend mobo and cpu. Thank you very much for professional advice !