Start menu search not working

strizlow800

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
I have problem with Windows 10 start menu search. It was all good until I installed the new anniversary update some time ago. Now the start menu will only search for control panel items, settings etc... but it will never find any program I installed myself (like Word, Chrome etc...). I have tried stopping and starting the cortana/windows search process in Task Manager but won't help. Also I used powershell to re-install cortana and windows search, also no good. I have tried almost every solution around but it just wont search them. On top of that all, I rebuilt the windows search index, clicked the .lnk files to be indexed (the shortcuts), but still no luck. I really need this option to get back for me but i don't want to re install Windows because of certain programs and settings which i won't be able to get again for a while.

Any help from the community will be really appreciated.

This is a known bug in Windows 10. If you don't want to perform a clean reinstall, the only option you have is to create a new user (admin user) from control panel, and start using this new login instead of old one. You can later delete the other profile once you set everything up. Search should then work as intended.

strizlow800

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Nope! Not functioning at all... Also checked process related to windows search. There everything is fine and running. It only shows up control panel items and settings. Nothing else.

I'm out of ideas if that's the case. Fresh reinstall is out of the question, you say, and from the looks of it, you might end up having the same issue even after reinstall. But you can always use 3rd party search utilities. Not much comfort, I know...

strizlow800

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
I have tried 3rd party search utilities. They do the job, but i want to try and get the default windows one back. I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks for trying to help anyway. Highly appreciated. :)

Daniel_373

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

As another thread update, this exact same thing has been happening to me for a while, I'm still not sure what's going on with it.

Do you have Cortana enabled or disabled? I have it disabled and I wonder if that has something to do with it...

strizlow800

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
I have tried with cortana disabled and enabled. Both won't do any good. Now start menu search started working on its own. But after every Windows update (no matter how small it is) it will stop again. Then after several hours it starts working again... Weird stuff.....