The Infamous "Monitor won't wake up from sleep" Issue

vikrant1982

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi Everyone,

My new build is having this issue on Windows 7 Ultimate. Whenever the PC goes to sleep, I press a key on the keyboard, it wakes up but the monitor doesn't. It's a CRT, when I press the key, the monitor makes a typical sound "cheeeek" that CRT's make when they turn on but then, the led light on the monitor starts blinking faster and the monitor doesn't display anything. I turn the monitor off and on from the power switch on it and it starts working. This monitor works fine with my old computer. I have gone through many posts on the internet and have checked some things that have resolved the same issue with others. Ran one pass of memtest and it appears fine. I am on onboard graphics so that rules out GPU compatibility. The CPU power states are on auto in the BIOS. Have the latest BIOS update as well as the latest graphics driver from the motherboard support page. Windows 7 is updated with convenience rollup. Other updates are pending.The config is as below :-

Core i5 6600K
Asus Z170 pro gaming
Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 2133 MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
Seasonic S12ii 520 Watts
TP - Link TL-WN881ND PCIE wifi adapter

Also, wanted to mention that the monitor is plugged into an APC BE-650Y UPS and the issue happens like 80% of the times.

vikrant1982

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

The issue is not related to haswell sleep states. Its only the monitor that does not turn on from sleep, the PC does fine. Also, The CPU states are in Auto mode in Bios so probably Bios will not let C7 kick in during sleep.

GBxter

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Hi,
I had same issue on my new monitor that's connected to my laptop. What caused mine was the display resolutions - the external monitor was at a higher resolution than my laptop. As soon as I made both resolutions same, the problem was solved. Now my external monitor wakes up from sleep same time as my laptop. You may want to try that.

GB

vikrant1982

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for replying but my monitor is not connected to a laptop, I am using it with my PC. That scenario is not applicable.

GBxter

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Ok, but did u check that the resolutions of the PC and external monitor are same?