Help, at a loss.

Colorado S14

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I have a strange issue and I just don't know what to do or how to fix it. I would really appreciate any help that you all can give.

I installed an 8gb MSI RX480 in my system a few weeks ago and last night I got the little Raedon popup saying there was a driver update. I clicked through and after downloading proceeded to install. I may have made the mistake of letting the driver update run in the background while I continued to watch a YouTube video. Well part way through the install the screen went black and my speakers started making a loud humming/buzzing noise. I thought well crap so I turned off the speakers and walked away for an hour. When I came back it was still doing it so I did a hard reset and held the power button.

When it turned on I got the normal BIOS screen and then the Windows loading screen with the 4 blue boxes. Then it went to a black screen with the rotating dots like it was doing an update or loading. I let it sit here again for a long time and finally clicked the mouse and it said "Updating Windows" and completed some update.

Now I got a black screen with my mouse pointer and that's it. I clicked my mouse and entered my password and hit enter. Now it loads and I get the windows task bar at the bottom of the screen but the entire desktop is grey and if I click on an app shortcut or hit ctrl+alt+del I see that they are opening at the bottom but all I see is grey above the task bar. I cannot visually see any applications.

Any suggestions? I think the video driver failed and now I am in some broken limbo and not sure how to fix this because I cannot see anything on the screen. I have an ASUS Motherboard, i5 4590.

Colorado S14

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Yea but I cant see anything except the task-bar on the screen, literally everything above the windows task-bar is gray regardless of what I do. If I open chrome I can see the shortcut on the task-bar highlighted like it is open but cannot see the application at all.

Is there a way to revert the system to a backup or do a system restore prior to loading windows?