windows 10 bootable USB installation issue

chainers

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Hello,

My hard drive recently broke and I am replacing it with a new SSD. I have installed the hardware in my computer, and my computer will boot when I turn on the power. Using the windows media creation tool, I made a windows ISO, which I then put on a USB drive using Rufus to install windows on my fresh SSD. However, every time I try and install windows 10, it tells me "The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade."

The issue is this isn't an upgrade! It is a fresh install, and when I restart, the computer won't turn on unless the USB is pulled out. And if the USB is in, then it goes back to the installation media. What do I do?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You didn't need to use rufus to make the USB, the media creation tool can manage that itself. You might want to make a new USB using that method, as it may have been the way you set up USB that is doing this.

If there is nothing on SSD now, try running http://www.dban.org/ on ssd and clear its mind of anything win 10, and start again.

chainers

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Hey thanks for the tip. I ended up having to unplug my MoBo and replug it in, and now it worked fine.

Also, I tried to make the tool with the media creation tool, and it could never register the USB, so I had to download the ISO and put it on myself.