DroneX7

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
I am upgrading my pc.
Here are my specs :

Intel Core i7 6700 3.4 GHz Processor
ASUS H170 Pro Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 RAM
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card(not sure , i may get a more powerful model)
CoolerMaster 700W PSU
WD 1TB HDD
Kingston 240GB SSD
CoolerMaster Force 500 Cabinet
Microsoft 1000 Series Wireless Mouse(not new)
Microsoft 800 Series Wireless Keyboard(not new)

I wanted to know

which os is best for my pc?
Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro?

Windows 7 is more stable,has good backwards compatibility,stability and good UI.

Windows 8.1 is more advanced,faster(i think),more features and works fine with compatibility modes(for games).

I have 8.1 currently and i will be asking my tech to install a new os on my SSD, its necessary though.

In this case i thought , as i am upgrading , why not 7 ?
Its better than 8.1.

Checked internet and found out that 7 wont work fine on Skylake.

It would work on a Skylake , but will it use the resources in the best way? I mean using the PC's hardware in the best way?
Because its old , and wont support many features.

I wanted 7 as its better than 8.1 in several ways, but i thought about 8.1 , its more advanced and shall use the hardware properly to its full potential. ( Windows 10 may be the best option for a modern pc , but i have used and i had endless problems.)

I cant decide on what to do.

The UI wont be a problem for me , but yes it is in one way.

If i was upgrading last year , Windows 7 would have been my option, as i had been using Windows XP for years and i
was more accustomed to XP that time.

8.1 was a total mess up for me.
I upgraded to Windows 10 believing that i would get back the old experience. But it was a horror story .
for over 6 months i got stuck up with 10 , no games nothing ..... My data was getting corrupted and deleted automatically.....How great....
I have been using 8.1 for over 8 months now and i am accustomed to 8.1's metro too.
So choosing an OS by looking out its UI is pretty hard for me as i am familiar with both and liked both.

I finally got back to 8.1 and maybe because of the drastic experience i had with 10 or because of hardware improvements(Installed more RAM and a GPU and updated 8.1)....... i loved 8.1...
Fast , smooth and efficient .
Most games worked smoothly with compatibility mode , only 1 had not worked(cant blame 8.1, its a 1995 game, it didnt even work in my XP that day. This game was the only problem i have run many 1995 games smoothly on my pc with compatibility mode.)

Only big mistake i made was allowing some shitty virus to get into my pc.
i was opening a ZIP file and this thing got in.
My AV was blocking many non-malware software so i prevented the AV from exporting and scanning this file.

Oh god......So many problems popped out...my poor 8.1 got taken out.
but still works fine even today..... i have stopped finding solutions to the problems as i am upgrading.\

Thus i had experience with both 8.1 and 10 and loved 8.1 more than 10.

Now lets come to 7. I have used 7 before and loved it.
I wanted to use it personally as i had used 7 in my dad's laptop and by friends desktop.
I used 7 before 8.1's arrival.
Its stable, good looking, backwards compatible,has the Aero Glass and brings back the 2009 effect for me(for me 2009 was the best year ever). Everything is simple and organized but still aged.
I now have a chance to choose from 7 or 8.1.

What to do?
I will be just using my pc for gaming,net surfing and editing(i am not an editor , i just collect my childhood cartoon videos and convert them to episodes, currently its a very time consuming job on my pc).

7 is better than 8.1 but still 8.1 is more advanced and powerful than 7 in many ways.
i wont be upgrading my pc in the near future so i want an OS which would work fine on my pc and would last years.

7 is still an aged platform so i have a fear whether i am going to get maximum performance from it on my next pc.
8.1 and 7 are going to lose support from MS , so both are in the same situation.

Will i get better results(gaming,performance,speed,compatibility etc.) on 8.1 or 7 on my pc..

I cant even think about another upgrade as i am going to install some really big games and getting a " game stopped working" after upgrade would be awful , so i just have one chance to choose between 7 and 8.1.

If i remain advanced with 8.1 , i'd go for it but if there arent any significant changes in 8.1 and 7 , pls tell me whether i must choose 7.

I want to know which is best as i am confused and very open about it. I want to close one of my imaginary gates and just go through one.

Pls help .
Thanks in advance.

DroneX7

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks.
But what about hardware and performance?
i've got a skylake cpu so everything is pretty advanced.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Win7Pro.
Win 8.1 is @5% faster for gaming purposes, which works out to 2-3fps. Really a non issue
Go with what's most comfortable. If you prefer 8,go with that, if you prefer 7,go with that instead. Not going to make much if any difference to performance