Not sure if this goes into displays or software of hardware because it is multiple problems

ValleyOfMist

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
i just bought a new gpu recently for my dad and it was basically an EVGA 8400 gs and i put it in his computer which ...was like a pentium and like ddr 2 or 3 ...like 4 gb and an msi mother board with a 500gb hard drive windows xp pro....so i wanted him to have access to 2 monitors and stuff ect....

i put the new gpu in i boot i can go into bios and change start up boot but after the windows logo it goes black...the screen is not turned off its just black...i tried to take out the gpu and it worked but then after a couple times of trying to fix the new gpu into the computer i finally took it out and connected the monitor to the motherboard graphics and this time it didnt work and the screen turned black after the logo...

im not looking to completely factory reset the computer to its original blank xp because my dad has his work and info on the computer...i am looking for a way to just have my screen turn back to normal where i can access the login screen for windows without it turning black..

so in shorter terms the computer just turns black after the logo of windows is done loading. Everything else is still running the hard drive is still running even if the screen is turned black and it still shows activity. I also know when i load into the loading screen for windows is when the NUM key light is turned back on..so basically the screen is black and YES i have tried the monitors and gpu on different computers and they all worked perfectly fine...

I also cant get into windows basically so right now...i am all reliant on an outside source and the bios and the boot menu i also did a check disk on another computer with a SATA to usb thing and checking the disc for errors were completely fine no errors were found.

Solution
I apologize if you feel insulted or out of sorts, but no where in your original post did you state that you tried booting into safe mode and that it was unsuccessful.

You did state that you were able to get into BIOS, briefly, and you changed the start up boot, which should have absolutely no effect on what display you connect to or what should be displayed. I took this as you meaning you changed the default display option from default (or on-board) to PCI-E. If that is incorrect, then please clarify. If that is correct, then booting into safe mode with the graphics card installed, should get you a display with which you should be able to install your graphic card drivers, which should resolve all of your display issues.

If that does...

Wolfshadw

Titan
First - Paragraphs. Walls of text are nearly illegible and are likely ignored.
Second - There should not have been any reason for you to go into your system BIOS when installing a graphics card. All you needed to do was install the graphics card, connect your display to one of the card's outputs, boot up your system and install drivers. If any part of that failed, all you should have needed to do was boot your computer into Safe Mode (basic Windows VGA drivers should have worked) and installed your graphic card drivers.

Install your graphics card, connect your display to the card's output, and boot your system into safe mode.

-Wolf sends

ValleyOfMist

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

Ok first off this is not a english class this is the internet and im looking for help and second of all u dont understand my problem at all and third of all if ur saying my stuff is illegible then go somewhere else someone else will find it legible and will understand it and apparently u probably just skipped half of wut i have said in my post and just came to a conclusion because safe mode does not work or vga mode either both ends in black screens or stuck in the process of loading drivers and gets no where

Wolfshadw

Titan
I apologize if you feel insulted or out of sorts, but no where in your original post did you state that you tried booting into safe mode and that it was unsuccessful.

You did state that you were able to get into BIOS, briefly, and you changed the start up boot, which should have absolutely no effect on what display you connect to or what should be displayed. I took this as you meaning you changed the default display option from default (or on-board) to PCI-E. If that is incorrect, then please clarify. If that is correct, then booting into safe mode with the graphics card installed, should get you a display with which you should be able to install your graphic card drivers, which should resolve all of your display issues.

If that does not resolve your issue, then you will probably need to reset your BIOS by removing the CMOS battery (for approx 30 secs) and then replacing it. Your data and OS will not be affected by this, but any BIOS settings you changed will be reset.

Wolfshadw

Solution

ValleyOfMist

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

Thank you im probably going to try to reset the bios ill tell u if it works srry my answer is kinda late

ValleyOfMist

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

Thank you im probably going to try to reset the bios ill tell u if it works srry my answer is kinda late