svchost.exe (netsvcs) is using all my internet bandwidth

AmirrezASe7eN

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I'm using windows 10, and since my internet conection is NOT unlimited (I pay for every gb of it), I cancelled windows 10 update while it was downloading the update files and then I completely disabled updates from "Services.msc"
But now, "svchost.exe (netsvcs)" is using all of my internet bandwidth (it's about 200KB/ps) and I tried everything but it still runs in the background and uses my internet.
After I delete the folder "C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution", svchost.exe recreates it, so I think it's downloading updates
I'd be really happy if anyone know a solution
thank you and sorry for bad english

Solution

try running this in command prompt \>sc config wuauserv start= disabled
you may need to be in an elevated command prompt if you are the main/administrator account you should be fine or just right click the windows...

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Disable BITS Service...

Open Task Manager (windows key+R, then type “taskmgr”)
Click on service TAB
Then click service button at the bottom
Look for the “Background Intelligent Transfer Service”
Now right click on that choose properties
See startup type, choose ‘disabled’, Apply then OK.

You won't be able to download essential windows updates with BITS disabled that may or may not eventually cause a security vulnerability.

AmirrezASe7eN

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Didn't work, svchost is still running in background :(

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016

try running this in command prompt \>sc config wuauserv start= disabled
you may need to be in an elevated command prompt if you are the main/administrator account you should be fine or just right click the windows button in the bottom left and then select Command prompt (admin)

Solution

AmirrezASe7eN

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

it works
svchost is still running in the background but it's not using the whole bandwidth anymore
I hope the problem won't happen again
thanks

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016

No problem, glad I could help you out.

solom_129

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

may you please ex plane what is wuauserv and what does it do ? :)

mathew_93

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

I too was facing this issue. I tried your solution and it worked. Thank you very much. :D

rogford

Prominent
May 27, 2017

it will be always running, cause svchost conrolls a lot of another services, but it wouldn`t use your Internet connection

Dhruv_8

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Same for me. I need a fix as well. Disabled BITS, and yet svchost.exe(netsvcs) is hogging all the bandwidth. Can't download anything. Webpages barely load. I tried suspending the process, it works then but windows explorer stops responding and i have to force restart the pc. This was not a problem before some recent win10 updates.

plz can someone help.

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016

okay so the guy above you is right svchost.exe (netsvcs) will always be running if I remeber correctly it is used as a generic naming scheme for multiple things by Windows one of them being updates and its necessity to connect to the internet hence my response to OP.... If you have tried my solution and it is not working you may have a trojan as svchost.exe is a great place for malware to hide, I would suggest first try downloading the premium trial of malwarebytes and see if that finds an infection and then we can escalate from there.

Dhruv_8

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Hi,
I actually ran a quick heal scan last night and it found like 10 threats. After starting the laptop today the internet is super fast. So it was most probably a malware or virus. I actually didn't consider it to be a virus because I had just reinstalled windows a week back. Anyways now I can finally go ahead and download vice City.
Thanks for your help.

l3gend

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Go to System - Wifi - click on your connection and in advanced settings - set as metered connection. Not sure if this can be done for wired connections. This will stop windows updates from pre-loading in the background

fuadayodeji

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

It wrote access is denied

traxxmy

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 1, 2015
Open a resource monitor>network>network activity. See which ip address does the svchost that use the bandwidth connected to. Then search the ip location in internet search. I once found out my telco is consuming my bandwidth all the time but most of the time it is microsoft ip address.

ronwolpa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
I ran sc "config wuauserv start= disabled " succesfully (ChangeServiceConfig ) but it has not worked , the same amount of data keeps downloading taking all my broadband. I know it is "host process for windows services" (svchost.exe) by means Glasswire. I am really annoyed with this.

gabrielraiano

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

Please can you explain what this command does? I don't want to disable anything important.

KiL3MaNjAr0W

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016

Essentially this will disable windows automatic updates.

Mar 16, 2018

thnx man. your one worked.