What does 144hz, gsync, and 1ms response time do?

FelixMcFly

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
I wanted to get a monitor thats 1080p and has 144hz refresh rate and 1ms response time. But then I discovered another monitor thats 1440p but is only 60hz and 4ms response time. Im really stuck between the two since they are around the same price. Can someone help out? I also wanted to know what gsync does? Im probably not going to get a gsync monitor since they are really expensive but i still wanted to know what they do since I heard that they fix lag issues and i might get one in the future when i save up more money.

Solution

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
depends a lot of what games you play and what you value more. most people that play first person shooters prefer 144hz over higher resolutions. other games such as league of legends or warcraft dont need the higher framerate.

for me (warcraft, league of legends), i value picture quality over framerate. as long as im at 60 fps , im happy. my next purchase will most likely be a 1440p 60hz monitor.

best bet would be to go to a store and see the difference in person. the 144 hz will be smoother while the 1440p will have greater detail.

also, what graphics card do you have? http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-g-sync-preview-article,1.html

Okay lets clear something up right away, ANYTHING about a monitor will not fix 'lag' or 'FPS' issues as most people get confused on. There is two parts to this equations: Input and Display.

A PC, TV, etc. can input whatever it wants to to a Monitor, but that does not 'set' what the Monitor displays (yeah confusing I know but bear with me).

So taking a PC for example, if you have a matched set of hardware (CPU, RAM, GPU all about equal power and speed - any variation makes it slower when not 'matched') it puts out a resolution of images (1080p, 1440p, 4K, etc.) at a set signal rate (120Hz, 144Hz, 60Hz.) to the Display.

Resolution (1080p, 1440p, etc.) is how 'much' information (graphic detail your brain reads) is on the screen. The higher the resolution the more blending of details to afford things like millions to billions of shades of colors, or how shadows work, etc.

Signal rate is how many of those resolution individual pictures pumped out per second, in the form of Hz display. So a 60Hz shows 60Frames of pictures per second, TV was around 30 and the HiDef Videos were over 60Hz. With digital signal they pushed to 120Hz (which fooled the eye with the 'fluid' effect when things were moving on the screen to 'feel' realistic to the viewer), then 144Hz and so on as it increases. This is what the DISPLAY shows and not what the PC is outputting. If the PC outputs 144Hz onto a 60Hz LCD then you get screen tearing as too much info is trying to be displayed all at once. And vice versa with a PC outputting 60Hz on a 144Hz Display, causes it to 'lag' or stutter' as it tries to replicate enough 'copies' of the signal to fill in the difference which takes 'time' to calculate second to second.

This 'response time' to calculate HOW to display each picture second per second is the ms response time your identifying. The lower the response time, the quicker it takes in the 'next' frame of the picture, the higher the response time, the longer it took. Previously we had LCDs with 30-500ms of response times which was the cause of why things would not respond as the PC was saying things were happening. With response times of 1-4ms there isn't really alot of difference I seen.

VSync has been used as a stop gap measure between all these issues to help 'deal with it' but would cause measurable impace (lag, low FPS, etc.) so AMD and NVidia came out with the Freesync/GSynch concepts. GSynch puts more 'hardware' into the GSynch monitor to match NVidia Cards and remove alot of this workload that 'lags' things from the CPU to the Display (handing both ends). Freesync does basically the same thing for AMD cards. The problem lays that if you mix these up you default all the way back to VSynch in any combination, because the technologies can't be mix and matched; so alot of wasted money for no gain.

FelixMcFly

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

I see. I will be playing games like dayz, ark, Arma 3, Skyrim. Some of those games won't usually go up to 144 fps. So I guess I should go with the 1440p monitor. Also I'll be using the gtx 1070. But what about ms response time?

frank_hnd

Honorable

the response time of 4ms means its an IPS display. you will get great colors and that response time is the fastest at the moment for an IPS display, anthing 1-5ms is acceptable, higher than that is when you start noticing differences.
You will also ger sharper images since you will have a higher resolution 1440p display.

GTX1070 is the sweet spot for 1440p, you can achieve 60FPS+ on every game, you might have to turn a setting or two in a couple of games but you will take advantage of Fast Sync ( so you won't have to use Vsync or get tearing)

so, for the games you mentioned; you will have a great experience with a 1440p 60Hz 4ms IPS display.

FelixMcFly

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

So what do you think I should do, go with the better quality or better refresh rate? Like honest opinion, what would you prefer?

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

If you do a lot of gaming, I would go for the 144hz monitor. If not, I would go for the 1440p. Thats just me though.

Solution