Display Asus 27´ ROG SWIFT PG278Q vs PG279Q vs Samsung u28d590d UHD 4K

Not411

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
Hello Guys,

I would like to know what the best display for games.

I have a Samsung u28d590d UHD 4K display. In my case I am using 2-SLI Titan pascal X 4K resolution. It is worth upgrading to Display ASUS PG278Q or PG279Q?

Samsung u28d590d UHD - 4K
ROG SWIFT PG278Q - 2.5K 144hz 1ms
ROG SWIFT PG279Q - 2.5K 165hz 4ms

Considering my 2-SLI Titan X Pascal, which would be better graphic?

Thanks!!

Solution
well it all depends on the size as well.
for a PC monitor I prefer 24"-27" which goes down to 1080p (24") and 1440p (27")
4K is quite nice but on bigger screens IMO. when you go with something 34" +

at the moment, 1440p is providing a good experience and 4K screens are still 60Hz and require a lot of horsepower (which you already have) but 120Hz+ 4K monitors are coming out soon, but they are quite expensive.

as for the choice you presented, I went for the Asus PG279Q. I live in Taiwan (both companies are headquartered here) and Asus just blows the Acer Quality control out of the water (this is coming from 3 ex-Acer employees and 5 different monitor stores opinions).
HOT DAMN! :)
Given you already have a 4k display, 1440p 144hz is the only way to go. :p
Get the Acer XB271HU, it is essentially the same as the PG279Q, but has better quality control and a slightly better image imo.
It should give you a much better experience in those twitchy shooters or other fast paced games, enjoy! :)

Not necessarily, I personally prefer higher refresh rates because of the smooth feel they give in reactive games like Overwatch and in SC2 which I play professionally.
I think that with your amount of graphics power you should easily be able to max stuff out at high fps at 1440p, and that it will be a better experience for online gaming.
Still, for single player games and more cinematic stuff like Star Citizen, 4k will blow your eyes out of their sockets!
I'd swap between them depending on what games you're playing, jealous as hell about that sick setup. :)

frank_hnd

Honorable
well it all depends on the size as well.
for a PC monitor I prefer 24"-27" which goes down to 1080p (24") and 1440p (27")
4K is quite nice but on bigger screens IMO. when you go with something 34" +

at the moment, 1440p is providing a good experience and 4K screens are still 60Hz and require a lot of horsepower (which you already have) but 120Hz+ 4K monitors are coming out soon, but they are quite expensive.

as for the choice you presented, I went for the Asus PG279Q. I live in Taiwan (both companies are headquartered here) and Asus just blows the Acer Quality control out of the water (this is coming from 3 ex-Acer employees and 5 different monitor stores opinions).

Solution
120Hz 4k monitors are a good 6 months off at the very least, probably longer due to the fact that implementation of the DP 1.4 standard and panels both need to reach manufacturers, then the monitors need to be tested, configured, quality controlled, put into the system and shipped.
It will be quite a long time till these are available. :)
Also i'm going to have to disagree with you on the QC, Asus is good for most of their components, but their monitor QC is absolutely dreadful.
Google PG278Q and you'll find that even to this day there are severe backlight bleeding issues with new shipments, i've had 4 come back out of a shipment of 10 this past week. (I run a small store)

The PG279Q isn't as bad, but still has its issues.
Acers on the other hand, we've only had one QC issue with them ever, which was a doa panel with faulty backlight.
In comparison, the XB271HU uses a slightly better panel compared to the PG279Q, and has slightly better colors.
The out of the box profile is better on the Asus imo, but once calibrated the XB271HU is much clearer, and the whites are better.

frank_hnd

Honorable

I'm well aware of the PG278Q issues specially in the US. I was talking about a more overall QC between the 2 companies. in all products they manufacture.

I believe for some reason those screens got really screwed up during shipping as in Taiwanese forums very few people have had issues. over here is more like you have 1 dead pixel but you need at least 3 in order to qualify for warranty.

I've seen the photos people post photos of their serious BLB issues but at the same time I've seen others complaining about IPS glow... a lot of people complained immediately because of that. specially since if twas probably their first IPS screen.