Laptop shuts down unexpectedly, not RAM/temperature related

lizardfireman

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
Recently my laptop Asus S400CA, with core i-7-3537U and 8gb RAM, running on windows 10 started shutting off unexpectedly, even if its just idling. I've checked the event viewer, all it shows is an event id 41 and 6008-which I have been told it doesnt tell anything. I've done memtest twice and found no errors, and clean the cpu fan, and have been monitoring the cpu temperature(50~60 degrees while idling).

I've sent for diagnostic, the servicemen told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the motherboard(they did graphic test etc as they told me), and stated that the harddisk are healthy although its kinda laggy.

Thinking it might be harddisk problem, i tried to do a diagnostic usng seatools for windows. I did a short drive self test and it passed. Unfortunately the long test couldnt finish: the laptop shutdown again. Tried using seatools for dos, however the harddisk just doesnt show up when seatools scanning for harddisk.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I have managed to have the disks showed up on seatools for dos. Passed both long tests and short tests for both HDD and ssd cache.

Solution
you said " They suggested me to upgrade to ssd, but as they can't tell me what's wrong for sure, I didn't go for it."

That just product pushing on their part nothing more.

You said " My laptop has a non removable battery and it's always plugged in, so I guess I could rule out my power adapter? "

Oh I would never rule out a power adaptor. nor the connector its plugged in either.
When your laptop shuts down, does it go " dead" or does it say " shutting down" before?
When its is shutdown, look at power cord into power adaptor and look at adaptor per chance it has a led on it showing power on or not. but unless your batteries are shorted/dead even if the power adaptor fails it woul fall back to your batteries. so try this boot on...

lizardfireman

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
No they didn't mention anything about power. All they said was they did some test using my HDD and theirs and the problem didn't occur. They suggested me to upgrade to ssd, but as they can't tell me what's wrong for sure, I didn't go for it.

My laptop has a non removable battery and it's always plugged in, so I guess I could rule out my power adapter?

you said " They suggested me to upgrade to ssd, but as they can't tell me what's wrong for sure, I didn't go for it."

That just product pushing on their part nothing more.

You said " My laptop has a non removable battery and it's always plugged in, so I guess I could rule out my power adapter? "

Oh I would never rule out a power adaptor. nor the connector its plugged in either.
When your laptop shuts down, does it go " dead" or does it say " shutting down" before?
When its is shutdown, look at power cord into power adaptor and look at adaptor per chance it has a led on it showing power on or not. but unless your batteries are shorted/dead even if the power adaptor fails it woul fall back to your batteries. so try this boot on battery power only how long does it stay on ?

you can try to configure a battery report on your laptop to see what it says; procedure easy requires nothing but windows : http://www.howtogeek.com/217010/how-to-generate-a-battery-health-report-on-windows-8-or-windows-10/

Solution

lizardfireman

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
My adapter doesn't have a led, so I can't check. I can't do a battery report now as the disk checking is still running, but I have been able to run the laptop on battery only for at least 1 hour. I'll test later and update the main post, thanks.

Edit: I dont know what u want for the report, here is a snippet:
http://imgur.com/a/8o4Cp