Lenovo laptop completely clean install windows 10

Gimff

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
My friend is having a problem with his laptop, it is inconsistant in performance and often is unacceptably slow considering it's medium price point.

We figure the best way to combat this is to freshly install windows (preferably completely wiping the drive) as various anti viruses and speed software have not fixed the issues. The built in windows reset does not work, says failed to reset or something (we have tried this multiple times). The laptop (Lenovo y5070) seems to have a proprietary bios called uefi which does not allow booting from a usb. We have changed that to legacy support (I think is a different version of the bios) that enabled usb booting, however it still does not allow booting from a bootable usb even though it is selectable. I am not sure whether it is the usb (which we did format as bootable) or the laptop. I have a relatively good knowledge of computers but not as extensive as some, so
please if anybody knows anything about the installation of windows on a Lenovo laptop please help.

The laptop was sent in to be looked at by Lenovo however they proved useless and fixed nothing.

The laptop came with windows 8.1 which was "upgraded" to windows 10, we do not have a disc or official usb with windows on it. However we do have a usb with windows 10 disc image file. This usb has worked before without any problems.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated <3.

Solution
UEFI is not proprietary. It's a newer standard meant to replace the BIOS system that has been around basically since the 70's. However, it is slightly more complicated to get it working since we are still transitioning to it, but it should be possible to get it to work.

However, a properly made W10 recovery USB should be able to boot into a normal UEFI machine. Can you me bore specific as to the error that happens when you try to boot from a USB?

Furthermore, I believe you can do a fresh install from Windows 10 itself. That might be an option worth considering, but I am not sure if it gives you the option to format the drive.

As a word of warning, though, there have been some recent reports of difficulties with Lenovo laptops. There...

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
UEFI is not proprietary. It's a newer standard meant to replace the BIOS system that has been around basically since the 70's. However, it is slightly more complicated to get it working since we are still transitioning to it, but it should be possible to get it to work.

However, a properly made W10 recovery USB should be able to boot into a normal UEFI machine. Can you me bore specific as to the error that happens when you try to boot from a USB?

Furthermore, I believe you can do a fresh install from Windows 10 itself. That might be an option worth considering, but I am not sure if it gives you the option to format the drive.

As a word of warning, though, there have been some recent reports of difficulties with Lenovo laptops. There was a recent controversy of them using a unique RAID mode on some high-end machines that made it very difficult to install any OS (even a fresh install of Windows was very difficult), and they have been known to install bloatware to the firmware of the machine so it is effectively impossible to remove. Your problem does not seem to arise from these situations, but it's worth keeping in mind that it could be something particularly hard to fix.

Solution