So my set up pretty simple;
AMD FX 9590
MSI 990 FXA Gaming
corsair H100I extreme perf cooling sys
corsair vengence 4 X 8GB 32GB total
corsair 750W power supply
MSI GTX 970
2 X 250GB SSDs

The issue is in the MoBos settings I think, it only runs in slow mode, all things are hooked up properly and heat isn't an issue at all nor the power. However when I turn the slow mode off on the MoBo it acts like it wants to boot and then just shuts off without warning, I turn it back on and it turns itself off within 1-40 seconds.. I am not sure what it is but id love to get full performance out of this machine. I may upgrade the power supply and cooling system but the cooling, but neither is an issue right now my temp is at 21C!!

any help is appreciated!!
name is Shawn

amtseung

Distinguished
Not too long ago, someone here on the forums found a physical "slow mode" switch on their MSI AM3/+ socket motherboard. I wonder if you may have the same.

Shawn_52

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
i do have the switch and it is switched on, that is the only way for the PC to boot successfully, its typically used for extreme OC and restricts the CPU from full performance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if the issue is PSU-related. The 220W CPU only starts when on slow mode? Does slow mode drop the clock speed of the CPU (thus lowering watts)? The CX line has had some reliability issues over the years. At least the older ones. Any chance of trying a different PSU?

If not try this...
Enter BIOS and lower the multi on your FX-9590 down to ~40. Disable turbo mode. Make it like a FX-83xx CPU. Then see if the PC boots normally w/o having to use slow mode.

Shawn_52

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
currently the CPU is at 1.32 GHz, i have a fx 8320 but i bought this CPU for the power. i would really like to get the CPU to perform as it should. also i forgot to mention i can boot regularly if i hit F11 on boot and select the windows boot manager with the correct SSD highlighted...it boots right up usually...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Usually? Not always? If it works as it should by using the boot manager to manually select the boot drive, that throws a whole new light on the problem.
Or... it might just be the time delay that allows the wattage to drop enough to boot successfully.
Did you try to lower the FX-9590's multi to match the FX 8320 (stock)? If it works that way, it would lean towards a PSU issue.