Display randomly turns off when playing games.

Volfenshteinya

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
So recently I've been having some troubling problems with my pc. First, when playing graphic intensive games, my motherboard would enable power surge protection and crash. I dident notice any voltage spikes so i turned off my motherboard power surge protection. Everything was fine until today, when playing any games my display will go black and but i will still be able to hear the game and my friends on teamspeak but the display will not turn back on until I reset my pc. Keep in mind my pc is connected to a power surge unit, my house wiring is fine. Also my temperatures are fine with around 28C on idle and 50C on games. I'm assuming it could be my psu but any ideas?

Intel i7-6700k
MSI gtx 970
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake motherboard
Corsair rm 750 psu

Heres some idle system voltages and temperatures, pictures.

https://gyazo.com/314c4fe37f9fea0ecb42b5a4aa3effaa
https://gyazo.com/7490c1d749aeaac7f123be98db91a906

Solution
You can try your luck with a different PSU or a different/replacement GPU.

If you browse around, you will find many stories about people having trouble with some specific combinations of PSUs and specific GTX970/980 variants. Some GPU VRM designs simply don't play nice with some PSU designs.

InvalidError

Titan
Sounds like the GPU crashed and failed to recover.

Anti-Surge tells you when the motherboard is seeing abnormal voltages from the power supply, it should have absolutely nothing to do with power line surges. While those anomalies may come from the PSU, they are also often caused by a misbehaving or excessively noisy GPU VRM.

InvalidError

Titan
You can try your luck with a different PSU or a different/replacement GPU.

If you browse around, you will find many stories about people having trouble with some specific combinations of PSUs and specific GTX970/980 variants. Some GPU VRM designs simply don't play nice with some PSU designs.

Solution