Information on purchasing a new gaming G-Sync monitor

Loccen

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello everyone,

Hello everyone,

Firstly I’d like to apologize if I come across as being a little misinformed about this.

I currently have an Nvidia 980 TI Strix gfx card, i7-6700k and 32gigs of ram and would like to upgrade my monitor as have recently discovered that I’m using a less than ideal one and therefore not fully appreciating the performance that my GFX card is producing.

My current monitor is a Benq GW2760 which is 60 MHz 1080P and connected to my card with an HDMI (the screen has no display port) and I’m getting a lot of screen tearing in FPS games like BF1 as well as some RTS games (but less frequently) and it’s giving me a headache after prolonged usage.

My first question is can my current card cope with a 2560x1440 G-sync monitor if I want to run on max settings, or should I stick with 1080p?

My second question I have been looking at this monitor and believe it’s a good option if I should be sticking with the 1080p:- https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer-predator-xb271-g-sync-led-tn-panel-1920x1080-1ms-300cd-m-speakers-dp-hdmi-dvi-black

If anyone can give me any recommendation / explanation on what I should be looking for I would be very much appreciated as the monitors can be very pricey!

Regards

Loccen

Solution
You are asking the age old question: 1440p @ 60hz vs. 1080p @ 144Hz

The answer is: it depends. It depends on what games you play. It depends on your style of play. It depends on what is most important to you as a gamer.

If you are a highly competitive FPS gamer, I would get 1080p @ 144Hz. The additional frames will keep you on a level playing field with other gamers. If that isn't as important to you, and higher resolutions for better looks is, then go with the 1440p screen. Your 980 Ti can run either of these configs very well.

If you want to get both a 1440p and 144Hz screen with Gsync you start getting into some very expensive monitors. The cheapest would be something like this...
You are asking the age old question: 1440p @ 60hz vs. 1080p @ 144Hz

The answer is: it depends. It depends on what games you play. It depends on your style of play. It depends on what is most important to you as a gamer.

If you are a highly competitive FPS gamer, I would get 1080p @ 144Hz. The additional frames will keep you on a level playing field with other gamers. If that isn't as important to you, and higher resolutions for better looks is, then go with the 1440p screen. Your 980 Ti can run either of these configs very well.

If you want to get both a 1440p and 144Hz screen with Gsync you start getting into some very expensive monitors. The cheapest would be something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg which you can sometimes find for sale for less than $500

Solution