DisplayPort Not working properly - Please Help.!

kopins

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Hey guys, so I just build up my first high end rig ever, as happy I was while building it, that much disappointed I am now.

Basically my PC is connected to my monitor with HDMI and DP cables, HDMI is working fine although when I'm playing games I can still see that screen is glitching when playing (I assume that might something to do with the refresh rate) anyway..

When I try connect to the DisplayPort, It connects and it just seems ok until I start to operate. The first thing I noticed was that all my icons from the screen are gone. My mouse cursor is gone off the screen so I have to move my mouse a lot to find my cursor. I can not open browser or any other software. I can just click on the start menu and it opens the tab, but that is about it, when I click on a game from the start tab menu it opens but not on the screen (I can see only on the bottom window tab that it has been opened) - once I switch back to HDMI I can see that the same game has been opened. I tried to update my graphics card, motherboard, tried to look on the internet for solution, but unsuccessfully. I couldn't find on NVIDIA control panel for the solution, but I noticed that when I had Nvidia control panel opened, and I switched to DisplayPort and back to HDMI under Display -> Change resolution section there were now two displays Acer x34(1 of 2) and Acer x34 (2 of 2) (G-SYNC Capable) I couldn't find they way to switch to display(2 of 2) I couldn't contact to the asus team though as I don't have much time because of the work (I spent loads of money on this rig so now I'm working a lot to sort my finances :)) Anyway..
I would really appreciate if someone might know the solution to solve my problem.

Specs:
Monitor - Asus x34 predator
Mobo - Asus x99 strix
Gpu - Nvidia GTX 1080 strix
O.S. - Windows 10 64bit
Psu - Corsair HX 850i
let me know if you need some other information
Kind regards

Solution
I'm no technical wizard but I have an Acer X34 Predator (Curved and G-sync) and only use the Display port connection.

I don't have any HDMI connection.

The display port connection to the graphics card gives the monitor its default setting of 3440 x 1440 at 60Hz and if you want to change the refresh rate upwards use the Nvidia Control panel for that. Have to read the manual. The choice between HDMI and DP input is made through the appropriate Monitor function key (I think it's the third button from the right) but I don't have that issue because I only have a Display Port connection.

You only get G-sync through the Display Port.

Edit- took me while to master the Predator buttons and set up the monitor with G-Sync but I assume...

Bufty2

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
I'm no technical wizard but I have an Acer X34 Predator (Curved and G-sync) and only use the Display port connection.

I don't have any HDMI connection.

The display port connection to the graphics card gives the monitor its default setting of 3440 x 1440 at 60Hz and if you want to change the refresh rate upwards use the Nvidia Control panel for that. Have to read the manual. The choice between HDMI and DP input is made through the appropriate Monitor function key (I think it's the third button from the right) but I don't have that issue because I only have a Display Port connection.

You only get G-sync through the Display Port.

Edit- took me while to master the Predator buttons and set up the monitor with G-Sync but I assume you've done that.

Solution

IsItMe

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I'm having the exact same problem. HDMI works fine, but when I switch to DisplayPort, my desktop icons and mouse cursor disappear. I have a Dell XPS 8700 (16G memory) with an Asus Dual OC GTX-1070-08G graphics card, and Dell S2417DG monitor (2560 x 1440 at 165 Hz). All drivers are updated. Added a new PSU (Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER 750W 80 Plus Gold). Would like to take advantage of G-Sync and higher refresh rate.