Windows 10 Computer BSOD; fltmgr.sys

racecaryaya

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Hello everyone! I lurk this forum a lot for solutions and it's never failed me so far.

Lately my computer has started crashing a LOT, maybe this past Sunday? I thought it was related to the Window 10 update, so I uninstalled it, but nothing has improved. I've run through a long checklist---updated all my drivers using Driver Booster, run sfc /scannow, run chkdsk, run the Windows Diagnostic Memory Test, run Malwarebytes, run CCleaner Registry Fix. Everything has turned up clean or claimed to fix any issues. I've tried changing my page file size (changed it back to system managed), updated my Panda Security Antivirus. Now, in addition to BSOD, it won't create a minidump!

I was getting primarily SYSTEM_THREAD_NOT_EXCEPTED and KMODE_NOT_EXCEPTED, but today it's changed to anything and everything including IQRL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. BlueScreenView says it's fltmgr.sys from the minidumps it can find.

I haven't run Memtest86 yet---if it's faulty RAM there's nothing to be done, since the RAM is literally soldered onto the mobo.

Here's my system summary:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SAMSUNG
System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model 940X3G/930X3G
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SAMSUNG SENS Series
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P05ACJ.128.140819.dg, 8/19/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.0"
User Name Samsung\user
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.92 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.56 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.6 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.38 GB
Page File Space 8.72 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

What files should I upload for someone to look at?

I seriously appreciate your help! Thank you in advance.

Solution
That is annoying, driver booster should have created a system restore file before it installed anything.

run memtest,. make sure its not the ram even though you cannot remove it. Better to know for sure.

DPC watchdog errors can be cpu, rest look like typical driver errors. Memory management can be either ram or drivers.

without dumps its hard to know what cause is. Here are some reasons why memory dumps aren't being made: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/130536

Colif

Win 11 Master
shouldn't use driver booster, it doesn't always get the right drivers - its only good side is it makes a restore point before updating any drivers so can roll back if anything goes wrong. Better to go to Samsung site for laptop and get drivers from there.

Did you get the irq errors before or after running driver booster?

can you share screen shots of blue screen view?

how much free space on hdd? not many reasons apart from no page file that stops windows making a dump
what settings are the dump files set to? http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html

racecaryaya

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

IRQL errors started happening after driver booster, yes.

I'm not even getting bluescreens now, it just shuts itself down. If I do get one, I'll screenshot it.

HDD has 25.9 GB free out of 103 GB. Pagefile size was system managed, I just changed it to "automatically managed" and its minimum is 16 MB with 8445 allocated. It's an automatic memory dump.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick the date driver booster created and roll PC back to how it was before it ran. This will likely fix your current shut down problem as well.

racecaryaya

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Yes, but I don't have any system restore points from before this problem.

So, a good suggestion, but not possible.

Computer has shut itself down multiple times in the meanwhile, two bluescreens without minidumps created with reasons of "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" and "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is annoying, driver booster should have created a system restore file before it installed anything.

run memtest,. make sure its not the ram even though you cannot remove it. Better to know for sure.

DPC watchdog errors can be cpu, rest look like typical driver errors. Memory management can be either ram or drivers.

without dumps its hard to know what cause is. Here are some reasons why memory dumps aren't being made: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/130536

Solution

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017

I know this is coming up to 2 years ago. But I'm having this same problem, crashes daily, especially ingame and just got this error, except, this time (first time with this error of ftlmgr.sys) it didnt create a memory.dmp yet I lost 16gb (what a full memory dump normally is) of space?

I can't find it tho.

Memtest found nothing yet i've got many BSODs about memory failed and other memory ines and bad pool header and for this it was system_service_exception, and i've probably got about every BSOD you can name.

Dunno how to fix this. I don't want to reinstall windows (especially because I'll have to reinstall everything) but I don't know if theres any other option to stop these crashes

Colif

Win 11 Master

I would ask you to make your own thread (question here) and give me a link so I can look at it more. More people will look at a new post compared to an already solved one.

Memory dumps aren't normally 16gb in size, they can be much smaller and I generally ask people to set system up for minidumps which are only 256kb instead.

1. Can you do this on PC - Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

2, Memory management doesn't just look at ram, Windows counts HDD as memory as well as its where page file is. If drives are the problem, it would help explain why you got no dump file. Often its software as well.

Try running hdtune on the drives in the PC. Look on the health tab and allow it to run a SMART scan, only scores you want are all Green OK's

3. Here are reasons why windows didn't create a Dump file - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/130536/windows-does-not-save-memory-dump-file-after-a-crash

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017

1. I've already got 3 full memory dump files + 2 minidumps on a microsoft support thread. Also I've already made 2 threads on here with 0 responses to either and its been months. This site's dead.

2. Eh, it seems like a glitch, still makes em know so eh. And full memory dumps are normally the size of your RAM... so 16gb if you have 16gb is normal. But I just compress them in a zip (6gb or so) then upload them

I pm'ed u the microsoft support thread which is a lot more info.