Upgrading my Mobo and CPU, How do I keep Windows 10?

Chicken_Tatsu

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
So I'm in a bit of an awkward pickle. I'm a beginner pc builder and I was using spare parts but just recently purchased a new cpu and mobo.

I'm upgrading from an amd phenom x2 to an fx 8350 w/ an asus m59a7 r2.0.
I'm not sure what my old mobo is.

I heard that I can uninstall some drivers since I'm upgrading from amd to amd and I won't have to worry about reactivating windows 10 on my pc.

I don't have an activation key and I'm incapable of contacting the person who might know it.

I was hoping I could be able to boot up the same way once the components were changed and just do a reinstall of the OS.

Can I get some clarification?

Solution
A new motherboard will trigger Windows Activation. If you can't activate Windows via the Internet, then you'll need to use the automated telephone service. This usually works a couple of times before you need to speak to someone or buy a new license, but there's absolutely no guarantee.

If your pre-Windows 10 license key was OEM then your Windows 10 license key will also be OEM. If that's the case, Microsoft are well within their rights to refuse activation.
I believe it depends on how you obtained Windows 10.

If memory is correct, if this copy of Windows 10 was part of the free upgrade programme Microsoft ran then Windows is associated with your old components and Microsoft have a digital licence associated with them. Upgrading, especially changing the motherboard tends to invalidate that copy of Windows. However, there's nothing preventing you from contacting them about it.

If it was an OEM copy of Windows, the same is true. It would be tied with your old components and won't work with a new PC.

As far as I'm aware, the only way for Windows to work with a new motherboard is if it was a full retail version of Windows which normally allows such upgrades.

This is assuming things haven't changed over the years.

A new motherboard will trigger Windows Activation. If you can't activate Windows via the Internet, then you'll need to use the automated telephone service. This usually works a couple of times before you need to speak to someone or buy a new license, but there's absolutely no guarantee.

If your pre-Windows 10 license key was OEM then your Windows 10 license key will also be OEM. If that's the case, Microsoft are well within their rights to refuse activation.

Solution