Installation Windows 10 to a SSD (Help )

crispykiller96

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Hi there about to install Windows 10 to my brothers computer. We have installed the SSD and Configured it to appear in Disc Management so the new Drive is fine :)

We now need to install Windows 10 to the New SSD Partition is it possible to install Windows to the SSD and when its complete retrieve data from the HDD partition then format the whole drive?

Would the new installation of windows corrupt the old partition we don't have a USB or any means of saving the data so we need to know the data on the Old partition is safe in theory it should be fine as its untouched or would the new installation screw the old installation up if we don't format the drive before we install Windows 10 :)

Also if the Windows Installation fails would it be still possible too get into the old installation of windows

I hope that makes sense

Thanks In advance

Joe

Solution
You prevent any weirdness with the old drive and OS by not having it connected.

To install to the new SSD:
You are starting with a whole new OS, so you need to prepare.
Find and document all your username/passwords
Find and save all your application install files and their relevant serial numbers
Find and save on a USB all the drivers for your hardware.

To install:
Disconnect ALL drives except the SSD
Boot from your install media
Install on the SSD
When done, verify in the BIOS that the HDD is not int he boot sequence
Finish the install on the SSD with all the drivers and Windows updates.

By now, you should be satisfied that the OS works properly with only the SSD.

Later, reconnect the old HDD
Retrieve whatever...

USAFRet

Titan
You prevent any weirdness with the old drive and OS by not having it connected.

To install to the new SSD:
You are starting with a whole new OS, so you need to prepare.
Find and document all your username/passwords
Find and save all your application install files and their relevant serial numbers
Find and save on a USB all the drivers for your hardware.

To install:
Disconnect ALL drives except the SSD
Boot from your install media
Install on the SSD
When done, verify in the BIOS that the HDD is not int he boot sequence
Finish the install on the SSD with all the drivers and Windows updates.

By now, you should be satisfied that the OS works properly with only the SSD.

Later, reconnect the old HDD
Retrieve whatever files (not applications) you want from it
Wipe ALL the partitions, and use as desired

Solution
I think i follow! A partition is just a section of a single drive, i think you use it incorrectly, let me explain below.

You have an old platter, and you want to install windows on your new SSD.
But you don't want to lose the data on the old platter.

This is super easy, the safest way is to just unplug the old HDD from the motherboard, plug in the SSD, install windows and let it do its thing. Once install is complete and all is well, shut down the PC and plug the old HDD back in. The old HDD will have a bunch of old Windows stuff on it, but it won't be harmed or damaged in anyway, and will be totally accessible to the system when it boots off the SSD.

You can then save all the data off the HDD, and format it as you please.

crispykiller96

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Hi thanks everyone for there replies something to note though Windows 10 did install successfully to the new SSD Drive. Now i found an old USB pen and backed up his data ( mainly passwords and familt photos ) then tried to format the old HDD as it was off no use windows prevented me from doing so so i wiped it with the Windows Installations disc bad idea! windows refused to boot at this point even though it was installed to the new SSD Drive ( No Operating Disc found ) so at this point just formatted all discs and installed a fresh installation of windows to the SSD drive

So i have come to the conclusion that if you do not delete any old windows partitions or disconnect them it certainly saves something to the other drive thats needed for operating so its not a great idea i learned something new today new and fresh installations should always be done and make sure you back up data beforehand ;-)

Thanks

Joe