Best Cooling (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of nice cooling options out there. I haven't seen too much about the reeven coolers until recently, they seem to have a pretty strong lineup. Hopefully some of these will become more available in other regions such as the cryorig, bequiet etc. The hyper 212 series have had a long run and so have noctua's coolers though it looks like they're getting some solid competition with more modern updated features.

ONLY because people refuse to look at anything else, and it has a strong word-of-mouth following. The CryOrig H7 does better than the EVO any day of the week and isn't much more.

Cryorig is better but not the top seller for the last 5 years, as the Cryorig has only been out for about a year or so. And I would buy Cryorig over 212 EVO in 2016.

fabjensen

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

I was just recently looking for a new cooler to replace a stock amd cooler. 212 EVO was $30, CryOrig H7 is $100. I'm not sure where you're getting the 'isn't much more' cause +$70 is a lot.

hidaamoro

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Why is the Cryorig H7 $100 on Amazon? It's $107 at Newegg too...

https://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-Tower-Cooler-Intel-CPUs/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/

I see this at NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Cryorig+H7&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Sold out with a price of $34.99 Your $107 price isn't a direct from Cryorig price AND I think it's inflated for supply and demand, if not just outright price gouging. (Hate to find out it was gouging though.)

The DeepCool Gammaxx 400 is a better option than the 212 if you can't find an H7 in stock. I just saw it on sale the other day for $14. The Gammaxx 200 and 300 are nice coolers as well. The 400 performs almost as well as the Shadow Rock Slim and U12S but costs a fraction of the price.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I would like Noctua more if they weren't so darn ugly...

Phanteks performs just as well as Noctua, is cheaper and looks way better, but I prefer water AIOs now, easier to access mbd sockets, etc. I just wish modern cooler reviews would include a standard TRUE so that one has at least some kind of reference to older coolers.

There's also the reeven justice, performance and noise similar to the nh-d14 for $42. The tradeoff, it's over 160mm tall and doesn't quite clear the first ram slot but then neither does the nh-d14. The thermalright true spirit 140 power is a solid $50-55 option but too tall for most cases. Plenty of good coolers out there. The bequiet dark rock 3 is around $10 less than it's usually been, at $55 (list not with rebates, free shipping) it's not a bad price right now.

Not sure what the deal is with the cryorig h7, it's a $35 cooler. 3rd party sellers like to price gouge though sometimes they do so on purpose when they're out of stock. A lot of times when a product is listed for a ridiculous price it's done to retain a place holder if a particular product page has established any sort of page ranking within various marketplaces. Cancelling the listing and then creating a new one when they get product back in stock can hurt their product's exposure.

Had the h7 been on the market when I picked up a 212 evo I'd have chosen it instead. Not really fond of the wonky mounting for the 212 evo that leaves it loose enough it twists on the cpu when barely touching it. I think I got it on sale for $16 so couldn't complain too much, at $25 I'd buy something better. The h7 also benefits from being more recent by using offset heatpipes to avoid ram conflict (at least on intel boards).

I think the 212 evo gets recommended so much for a couple reasons, one it's more widely available around the globe where other brands may not be. Two, it's a kneejerk go-to because it's been a solid performer as a budget cooler. Much like the nh-d14, it's become the 'standard' for high end air cooling.

Even though it's still an excellent cooler it's not the end all be all it once was. It used to be miles ahead in terms of air cooling but now it's got competition from bequiet's dark rock pro 3, phanteks tc14pe, cryorig's r1 ultimate/universal and competition from less expensive options like the ones listed above, the justice and ts140 power. It doesn't make the noctua coolers bad by any means but they no longer have a monopoly on high end air cooling and their competition benefits from branching out from noctua's trademark color scheme.

Some prefer aio's and while people like to say they never leak I was just reading a thread where someone's h100i v2 blew apart and soaked their pc, now they don't have any video. Likely killed the gpu, may have taken the mobo with it. No thanks, I'm good. Mixing water with delicate electronics is a lot like letting cats play on a bare waterbed, it's only a matter of time. :p

mapesdhs

Distinguished
A note on the leaked AIO tale, that person should be able to claim for all the affected components. A single incident though isn't a rationale for not using them (or as Stefan would say, "Not an argument.") If one adopted that MO, one wouldn't use anything at all, eg. last month a Samsung 840 250GB died on me, but Samsung are still my main recommendation when someone asks about an SSD. However, anyone who says AIOs never leak is indeed talking nonsense, but you're wrong to say "... it's only a matter of time.", that implies such a failure is inevitable, when in reality the vast majority of users are more likely to upgrade or replace their system (and/or cooler) long before such a fault has any significant chance of happening.

I've used about seventy coolers so far, including a couple of dozen Corsair AIOs (and a fair few of them were used/refurb), no issues yet. My favourite is still the TRUE Rev C though; one of these, single fan, 2700K, M4E, 5GHz no problem, nice & quiet (though in final builds I use an H80 + 2x NDS PWM).

I'll use an air cooler where an AIO would be overkill (eg. 4.7GHz 2500K system I built last year, TRUE worked great), but an AIO does also help for far more secure transport, especially international. Big air coolers can be banged around too much (not an issue of course if the system will be stationary).

True, there are single incidents here and there of leaks. It's no big deal until it's your system, then it's a royal pain. I'm not sure what their damage coverage is, I have heard of them working with people but I've also heard of instances where people have lost sli setups and due to the gpu's being older like a 770, only being compensated a portion of the value of one of those cards. Old or not someone's perfectly working system was suiting them fine up until a leak. If the full replacement cost isn't reached the user is still out money.

Some compensation is better than none but avoiding the situation that potentially compromises an entire system is even better. Even if someone is lucky enough to be fully compensated there's downtime to contend with. Time for the company to assess the damage, sort out what they'll cover, get the reimbursement to someone then the reordering of lost parts. It could easily mean being down a couple of weeks if it's someone's only system.

They don't list what's covered in the event of damage aside from the product itself and they say turn around is a few business days once they receive the defective cooler which is another couple of days. Roughly a 5 day work week (depending on post) to get the replacement cooler on a general exchange not including assessment of coverage for other affected components. The few I've known to have heavily damaged systems and the company (not specific to corsair) fully covered all their affected components were also somewhat higher profile members in various tech communities. I'm not sure if they got standard warranty service or if they got a bit of preferential treatment and so experienced a much smoother transaction than just some random customer.

Knowing my luck I'm better off with air coolers lol. I'm that isolated incident who orders a couple of hard drives, both doa. Ship them back and get refurbs in their place so never got the new drives I paid for, had refurbs from day 1 of using the drives. Those died in relatively short order compared to the rest of the drives I've used, in around 18-24mo and one right behind the other. Some of us are just that lucky. Others have used hundreds of drives without issue during the typical life expectancy. The one off problems don't mean much until you draw the short straw and then it can be a royal pain.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Heh, don't succumb to self-imposed Bayesian conditioning. ;D

Re disks, I hunt for new/unused Enterprise drives instead. I know what you mean though, but forums are a skewed source of advice for this sort of thing, because of course people are more likely to moan about problems they've had than highlight any lack of issues, eg. many people complain about older OCZ products, as if that's relevant to anything past the Vertex3, yet I've used dozens of OCZ SSDs (lots of Vertex4s, Vectors, a mountain of Vertex2E/3), only one unit failed so far (a 512GB Vertex4) which OCZ immediately replaced with a Vector 180, even though I told them I got the V4 off eBay a year earlier. So my experience with OCZ SSDs has been very good, but clearly others have been less fortunate (though I've noticed many complain about their old RAM/PSU products aswell). I suspect I've avoided much potential hassle by making sure all units I obtain have fully up to date fw before using them. Still, forum norms do cloud vocal opinion. People have a sweet spot for Intel and Samsung, even though both companies have screwed up in the past, yet people are far less likely to rant about them than OCZ, even though from what I've read it can be more difficult to deal with Samsing wrt warranties. Everyone tends to approach these issues from their own experiences and Weltanschauung, which is understandable but often misleading. Besides, it's impossible to have zero risk.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.