Is Cat6 worth the extra price?

Peggle2

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hello,

So I want to run a cable from my PS4 to my router.

I'm going to buy a 20m cable.

20m of Cat5 is £3 on Amazon and 20m of Cat6 is £13.

Is it worth the extra to get Cat6?

Thanks

Cat5e supports 10-Gigabit Ethernet up to 45 meters while Cat6 is good up to up to 55 meters. It's Cat6a that's good for the full 100 meters.

As it is unlikely your PS4 or router have 10Gbe or are that far apart, they will perform exactly the same.

Be very very careful lots of trash cable on amazon. This used to not be a issue but now you have many dishonest merchants and now the end consumer is having to read fine print to avoid getting ripped off.

You need to ensure the cable is pure copper not CCA (copper clad aluminum) and make sure the wire size is between 22 and 24. That flat cable you see is 30 and many of the so called thin cable are 28. This is way too thin and does not meet the standard.

There are companies saying their cable meet eia/tia standards when the standard clearly states copper 22-24awg. They try to pretend they can pass data at the same rate...and they may well be able to... but there is no way to be sure you have to trust them not to lie. But if they are twisting the statements about eia/tia certification what else will they not be truthful about.