Fps on a 60hz monitor

Aksshay

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
If i have a 60hz monitor and a gtx 1060 and i play games on high setting

Then i may or may not get 60+fps
But if i get it is limited as monitor can refresh itself 60times only per second so can display 60fps or below only

If i enabke vsync my game won't be smoother at all as i have on soke builds

Then what os the solution to this?

Can i lock fps at 60 only and if i lock.fps at 60 will it cause any problem as 60fps and monitor can also display 60fps only.

Please help

Solution

Many newer games have that option in it's configurations or they are already pre-setted to cap it's FPS to the monitor Refresh rate automatically, if you can't find those, activate the V-Sync, it will do that for you.

No, it won't affect your gameplay, not in a bad way actually, it will just keep it stable and nice.

manddy123

Admirable
60Hz monitors can only display 60FPS in game.
Going above 60FPS would be a waste in that monitor as it can't render those extra frames.

If you can get more than 60 FPS in your games, cap those to 60 or a little above, 70 for example, so it won't happen screen tearing.
You don't have to enable V-Sync, it'll make your game feel laggy IMO. Just cap the FPS to the Refresh rate of the monitor that's the best you can get.

If you want a smoother image, get a 1080p 144Hz monitor

Aksshay

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

I wish i could purchase a 144hz monitor....how to cap fps at 60 amd if i do this will it affect gaming on my pc?

manddy123

Admirable

Many newer games have that option in it's configurations or they are already pre-setted to cap it's FPS to the monitor Refresh rate automatically, if you can't find those, activate the V-Sync, it will do that for you.

No, it won't affect your gameplay, not in a bad way actually, it will just keep it stable and nice.

Solution

Just what manddy said, enable V-Sync. That will cap your frame rate to your monitors refresh rate.

Aksshay

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Ohhhkayy....i have ordered gta5 assassins creed unity liberation and syndicate and also mafia 3 and tom clancys splinter cell and division

Will i be able to lock fps on these titles

Aksshay

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Thanks a lot brother.....u have helped a lot

NeonShadow

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
just addition for others and you for your future games. theres a program called "NVIDIA Inspector" you can limit fps for all games or for just a specific game...(the main purpose of the program is to customize settings for all games like Anti aliasing,ambient Oc..,Etc..) i dont limit fps though what i do there is turn Vsync On then V sync to Tripple Buffer no tearing and feels smoother.

frank_hnd

Honorable
the best solution is something called Fast Sync. this only works with pascal cards.

when your FPS hit 60+ FPS Fast syn can make sure you don't get tearing without adding the input lag like vsync.

in the nVidia control panel where Vsync is located you have that option ( Vsync: ON/OFF/Fast) choose the Fast sync option.

Adding more info to quote above:

If you can't run run fast sync, just run the game in borderless windowed mode which does the exact same thing as fast sync.