Can I Upgrade my Dell Inspiron 620S for Oculus?

PluckaDucky

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi Folks.

First post at Toms, I hope I am in the right area. I have spent several hours searching the forums and many more further afield, and while there are similar posts I can't find any which answer my questions adequately so please excuse me if there are.

I have a Dell Inspiron 620s (ie: Slim) with W7 Home Premium and the stock i5-2310 Quad @2.90 GHz which I have previously upgraded to 8GB Ram, a 2GB GTX750ti (Low profile) and a Seasonic 350W Gold 80+ PSU. This setup works great on my preferred genre of flight sims being either Aces High and more recently DCS, and I'm usually pulling somewhere between 50 - 70 FPS at max settings on these.

I now want to go VR with Oculus and although I was fairly certain the current setup wouldn't cut the mustard I ran the Steam VR test anyway just to be sure, and sure enough it failed. Interestingly the results indicated that only the GPU was a problem, the CPU apparently passed as it was marked green, or VR Ready, along with the OS. (Presumably the Steam VR Ready translates to Oculus Ready?)

With regards to upgrading the GPU, Oculus specs state a minimum GeForce 970GTX. Apart from being slim the 620S also won't fit full length cards due to the drive bays location behind the slots so without getting medieval on my case I'm limited to both low profile and short cards. My research indicates there are no 970+ low profile GPU's on the market so I am now indeed entertaining getting medieval and cutting a slot in the top of the case to accommodate a full height but short 970 to 1070. I would then fashion a convex shroud from medium gauge metal mesh to fix over the slot/GPU to protect the top of the card while providing additional ventilation, and also provide a fixing point for the projecting face plate. I am only really looking at GeForce cards as I believe they do not use as much power and run cooler than AMD's which is important given the smaller case and PSU.

I also previously looked at upgrading the CPU to an I7-2600S @ 2.8GHz which is the max the 620S mobo will take but these aren't cheap for an older 2nd gen discontinued CPU, even second hand ones start at $200+ AUD on Ebay and the few new one's still available are 4 or 500 AUD. After doing some more research I figured it would be pointless upgrading the CPU without upgrading the card given the primary use of the unit is for games.

So I have a couple of questions for those of you in the know and kind enough to answer.

1: Are there any short length 4 - 6gb 970 to 1070 GeForce units available with lower power requirements which will run on my system? I realise the PSU is a limiting factor however it is a good quality 350W Gold 80+ so I figure this should be worth some extra points;
2: Assuming I can upgrade the GPU, would also upgrading the CPU to the I7-2600S see any measurable performance benefits on screen and/or Oculus? I would only consider this if I can upgrade the GPU to a 970+.

On a final note, I have looked at buying a new system for Oculus but apart from the cost most gaming rigs are towers which won't fit in my lounge room tv/entertainment unit, whereas the 620S looks pretty good in my setup and is also a perfect fit to close the unit door so I am really keen on keeping it if at all possible. I have also investigated building a system using a Fractal Node 605 or Silverstone horizontal case but these are also fairly limited space wise, the cost for something fairly decent starts getting up to a couple of k pretty quickly, and ultimately I would prefer to keep my Dell if I can upgrade it sufficiently.

Sorry for the lengthy post just trying to get all the info in reasonably succinctly.

Any advice and/or suggestions will be very much appreciated thanks.

Got a picture of a Entertainment Unit (Maybe include a ruler for scale)?

Mini ITX/HTPC computer cases are much smaller than a full desktop ATX case and can fit in more compact places.

Your Dell is definitely not fit for VR gaming, it's time to retire it and properly prepare for "the future" with a new build designed for VR.

Like, this is all you need for a proper VR machine:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.73 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($389.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.70 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $980.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-11 16:56 EDT-0400

And then you have to find the right case for it:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/grjG3C/apevia-case-xmasterbl500
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jvyFf7/apevia-case-xmasteral500
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Jpw323/apevia-case-xmasterbk500
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dsR48d/silverstone-case-gd09b
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mKw323/silverstone-case-sstgd05busb30
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pWZ2FT/raidmax-case-atx101b
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LvnG3C/fractal-design-case-fdcacore500bk
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6wR48d/cooler-master-case-rc130kkn1
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fGvRsY/thermaltake-case-ca1b800s1wn00
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M8Jkcf/thermaltake-case-ca1b800s6wn01

But one Big thing, Do Not Lock this computer (or any VR capable computer) "behind a door" in an enclosed space with no ventilation. You'll just bake your hardware and end up with a dead system.

PluckaDucky

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi James.

Thanks for your detailed response and your suggested system, I really appreciate the time you took to cobble all that info together and I like some of those cases as well, hadn't seen them before.

Just to confirm, so I can't run a 1070 on my Dell then is that right?

I don't have any photo's of the TV unit handy but the available space is 700mm wide x 190mm high x 500mm deep, or 27.5 x 7.5 x 19.6 inches. This is wood to wood though so need to allow for ventilation.

Your suggested system is unfortunately in US Dollars. I priced it up on the Australian part pickers and it comes in at around 1500 Australian. Apart from getting shafted by the tax man here for imported goods and everything else the exchange rate is also currently pretty average.

Regardless I am still contemplating building a new system if I definitely can't use my Dell. The one you suggested, will that run DCS on Oculus at full spec without jutters etc do you know?

Don't worry I don't close the door when the system is running only when it's been off and cooled down for a few hours cheers.

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Maybe a GTX 1070 ITX could fit in your case. But im not sure. The only information i can find about it is it's length.

Which is 169mm or 10.5 inches

Shoulda mentioned you're Australian.

Problem still stands, your old dell isn't fit for VR, And if you wanted a truly seamless VR experience you'd have to fork out even more money than what I listed. What I listed was for "pretty good with some acceptable quality cutbacks" if you want a perfect experience you need to be ready to drop a large wad of dough.

Even upgrading your CPU to the i7 you mentioned is still 25% below the recommended specs.

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
CPU: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
Memory: 8GB+ RAM
Video Output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
USB Ports: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
OS Windows: 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

And actually one change i'd need to make would be a different motherboard because I kinda forgot how many USB ports the Oculus needs.

There's nothing I can do about Australia's higher prices, but this is what's needed for Oculus to run well, it's something you can't really skimp out on, because it the VR isn't running at the correct FPS you'll get really motion sick.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($161.70 @ Skycomp Technology)
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($96.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($176.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card ($610.00 @ Shopping Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($93.50 @ Skycomp Technology)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($129.00 @ IJK)
Total: $1533.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 03:46 AEDT+1100

PluckaDucky

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

Hi mate. Thanks for your response and info. I worked out the gtx1070 wouldn't fit in this case. Would go length ways but the height was the issue, even with the ITX. I took James' advice and built a new system, cheers.

PluckaDucky

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi James. I took your advice and built a new system from part picker last week which came in just shy of a couple of k AUD. I upgraded from your suggestions a bit to ensure A1 oculus performance and provide a bit of future proofing.

I spent the weekend loading it up with drivers, software etc and doing some testing with Prime95. I have the 6600k moderately overclocked to 4300 and the Ripjaws running and 3000 and ran the P95 combined test for 9 hours with no errors and the max heat test for an hour during which the CPU would peak at 83C from time to time but it just kept ticking away without any problems. I also ran the Steam VR test and it scored an 11 which is very cool. Also can't believe how quick the thing starts up with the SSD running the OS, maybe 10 seconds, just crazy.

This was my first build and tbh it was very frustrating at times. The Shadow Rock CPU cooler was nothing short of a PITA to install, the 2 screws holding the unit to the mobo brackets are just way too short and you have to loosen one to get the other started and it comes out, and so on.....all the time the thermal paste is squishing around and you hope you're not damaging the CPU by the pressure you have to put on the cooler to try to get both of these damn screws started. Must have taken me 2 hours to get that bloody thing attached, yeah, for 2 screws! I then spent an eternity trying to figure out how the fan clips worked, cos the instructions didn't show it. Ended up breaking one of those.

I also didn't plug in the 12/24 CPU power at the end of the mobo as the instructions didn't really say what this connector was for so being a newb I assumed it was optional and not required. Took a few no starts before I did some googling to work it out. Problem then was the Shadow Rock was taking up all the room and preventing access to the mobo plug so the whole thing had to come out again. The Shadow Rock also covers Ram slot 4 which is a pain as on this mobo slots 2 & 4 are channel A, so I had to use 1 & 3 which is channel B and wasn't sure if it would work, but hey it did so all good. Will have to offload the Shadow Rock if I want to up the ram in future but 16 is more than enough for now.

When everything was up and running though it was ultimately very satisfying cheers!

System as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: be quiet! SHADOW ROCK LP 51.4 CFM
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage Primary: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage Secondary: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming
Case: Silverstone GD09B HTPC Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3LT DVD/CD Writer
Case Fans In: 3 x Deepcool XFAN 120 44.7 CFM 120mm