USB 3.0 Problem on MSI GX 680

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
Hi all,

There are many times when I have problems with my USB 3.0 :

* sometimes when I connect a usb 3.0 device my laptop freezes and nothing works so I have to unplug the cable or use shut down button

* sometimes the device (external hard drive/ flash memory) restarts itself which bothers a lot for example I am at the middle of a movie and all of a sudden it corrupts and I have to RESTART!

these have made me use my usb 2.0 port for my usb 3.0 devices :-(

** the original os was win 7 and I have updated to win 10
    ** the usb 3.0 driver is installed (given by MSI website) [sometimes a driver re-installation helps]
    ** sometimes when this error happens I see that <<renesas usb 3.0 extensible host controller>> in my device manager has been corrupted

I have downloaded <<USB 3.0: Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Firmware>> from intel but it doesn't work on my laptop.

I don't know what should I do, please help me

Solution

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012

You are right, MSI did not offer an upgrade but the Microsoft did
and the case is that these problems are not permanently, they happens sometimes
you want to say there is no way to fix it?

Loneg

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Hi,

If you performed an upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 then I would suggest doing a fresh install of Windows 10. As it has already been installed on that system, Windows 10 will just activate itself automatically once connected to the internet. If it prompts for a Product Key at any time just click the option to 'skip' or 'enter later'.

You can download Windows 10 from the below link and create either a bootable USB drive, burn a DVD, or start the install from Windows. Just ensure you select not to keep anything whichever way you decide to install it. If you use the USB drive or DVD option, I would delete all of the partitions during the install process. I would suggest going down the USB/DVD path as once the partitions are deleted you know that you have a 100% fresh install on your system.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE A TESTED BACKUP OF YOUR DATA AND COPIES OF ANY PRODUCT KEYS/SERIAL NUMBERS FOR OTHER SOFTWARE BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE ABOVE!!!

After a fresh install, before installing any drivers from the MSI site, try the laptop first as Microsoft have USB 2.0/3.0 drivers as part of the OS and it will also download drivers from Windows Update.

Hope this helps.

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks for your clear explanation, but I haven't upgraded through windows and have installed a fresh copy of windows via DVD but after the installation I had to install the original drivers of MSI. (as far as I remember I installed from the backup that I have made from my drivers)

Loneg

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

Oh, did Windows 10 not already install or download any USB 3.0 drivers from Windows update?

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012

I had to install MSI driver
You are asking me to re install the whole windows again from the beginning?

Loneg

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

That depends. I'm just wondering if you had not installed the MSI driver after Windows 10 had finished installing, waiting a while and see what it installs from Windows Update. Could be worth a shot. If you have any drive cloning software (I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager) then you could image your current install and give it a try. If it has the same issues then you just re-install the image that you backed up. I know it's a bit of a hassle but if you are anything like me, these little issues bug the crap out of you :)

Solution

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012

Yeah exactly, many thanks I would give that a try.