Second vga monitor won't work with hdmi to vga adapter

oldgen

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
Hi,
My problem is that I have an old monitor that I'd like to use as a second monitor, so I bought an hdmi to vga adapter and when I connect it to my gpu's(r9 270 it supports up to 3 monitors and my main monitor uses the dvi port) hdmi port with the adapter my pc detects it and the device manager shows it to be working properly but the screen is black, although its light starts flashing green and then red, the green light is on when it works properly (the monitor is not broken it works when I connect it through a dvi thingy, dvi to vga adapter I presume, so you might say "then just use it with the dvi thingy" but my gpu has 1 hdmi, 1 dvi and 1 dp port and my main monitor uses the dvi port). and I'm pretty certain the adapter is not a fake one firstly because my pc detects the second monitor when I connect it and it even allows me to use it as my second monitor on display settings menu and the seller (bought it online) seems to be a good one the packing etc was pretty good and people gave positive feedback on the adapter that I bought. As the monitor works when I connect it with a dvi adapter and the hdmi to vga adapter also works when I use it to connect the second monitor, I am tempted to say that my devices are not broken so in this case what I probably need is to configurate settings and that is where I need you people's help, thank you all in advance. (I tried the lowest res. settings on the second monitor no luck so far)

HDMI output is purely digital, whereas VGA is analog - - so a plain old HDMI-to-VGA adapter cable isn't going to work.

What you need is an adapter which incorporates a DAC (digital-to-analog converter), these are called "Active" so you need to buy an Active HDMI to VGA adapter instead of the non-DAC one that you have now.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2430789/hdmi-port-computer-connecting-vga-monitor-cable-adapters.html

Or just bite the bullet and buy a monitor which already has HDMI input so no adapters are required.