TV and monitor, same res, TV need more horsepower?

TheZek42

Honorable
Jul 8, 2015
Humour me, my friend disagrees that a (for example) 50" TV at 4k and a 25" Monitor at 4k, will NOT run the same. He says that because the TV is bigger, the performance will be worse than with the smaller (Same res) monitor. I told him that because the resolution is the same, they will have the same performance (In terms of FPS), I know that it will lead to increased input lag due to the larger screen size, and the image quality will be worse due to a the PPI being decreased.

Who is correct?

Solution
If I can add my two cents... Just because it's a TV doesn't necessarily mean that the input lag is worse than a monitor. I game on a 55in 4k Samsung, granted I sit a few feet back, but it's pretty sweet. When I traded up from my old TV I got a Sharp at first cause the picture was great, but it was unusable as a gaming device. My old Scepter 49in 4k was acceptable, but the Sammy is a whole lot nicer. When it comes down to it though, 4k is 4k, no matter the size, and pixel size comes into play on larger screens as well as density. The Scepter I could see the pixels from a couple feet away, but with the Sharp and Sammy it's not noticeable, even though it's a larger screen.
If I can add my two cents... Just because it's a TV doesn't necessarily mean that the input lag is worse than a monitor. I game on a 55in 4k Samsung, granted I sit a few feet back, but it's pretty sweet. When I traded up from my old TV I got a Sharp at first cause the picture was great, but it was unusable as a gaming device. My old Scepter 49in 4k was acceptable, but the Sammy is a whole lot nicer. When it comes down to it though, 4k is 4k, no matter the size, and pixel size comes into play on larger screens as well as density. The Scepter I could see the pixels from a couple feet away, but with the Sharp and Sammy it's not noticeable, even though it's a larger screen.

Solution