What actually gets deleted upon 'Reset this PC'

mookachalupa

Reputable
Mar 25, 2016
So something threw a wrench in my files somewhere, and for the past day I've been unable to enter my PC, stuck in a loop of auto repair, failure, and extra options. I was getting ready to have someone prepare a recovery USB drive for me, but nobody was pulling through so I explored my options and came across the "Reset this PC" option and the only thing stopping me is the fact that I get to "keep my files" but I'm unsure which ones are kept. It says it deletes apps, so maybe someone who has experience can clear up to me what actually gets kept and what gets deleted specifically?

For example: I've spent hours preparing modded game files for Fallout NV and Skyrim, and I'm not interested in losing them. Would that be deleted in the reset?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It keeps files in the user libraries; pictures, music, documents, videos. Some said it keeps personal files elsewhere but I've seen where it just deleted them. If those game files are in program files, they should get deleted. You are better off with just backing up needed files on an external device. Everyone should have an external backup especially with everything digital these days. Hardware doesn't last forever and all of it will disappear in an instant when it fails.
The only reset options I've seen reset your PC to like it was when it was brand new. I'd get hold of a Linux boot DVD or flash drive and copy anything you want saved to a backup device. You can download Linux Mint from here: https://linuxmint.com/ .

It keeps files in the user libraries; pictures, music, documents, videos. Some said it keeps personal files elsewhere but I've seen where it just deleted them. If those game files are in program files, they should get deleted. You are better off with just backing up needed files on an external device. Everyone should have an external backup especially with everything digital these days. Hardware doesn't last forever and all of it will disappear in an instant when it fails.

Solution