[Help] A variety of driver related kernel BSOD's e.g. Memory_Management

Nicashi

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Since I upgraded my PC and also went to windows 10 I've been getting BSOD's around 1-2 times per week. My PC also just freezes sometimes, and heat isn't the problem, my CPU sits around 30-40 degrees celsius always. I've tried so many online solutions and read hundreds of forum pages, but I thought I'd just submit my own thread.

WhoCrashed tells me it's most likely driver related but I've tried updating all my drivers. This leads me to believe that possibly my motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth 990FX) is the issue because my drivers are for windows 7 (they offer no windows 10 drivers anymore). I ran memtest86+ a while back and I believe it found nothing concerning.

Relevant PC Specs:

• Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    CPU: AMD FX-9590 (i know i shouldn't have bought this)
    CPU Fan: Kraken x61 watercooler
    Graphics card: GeForce GTX 970

WhoCrashed's analysis of several minidump files:

• On Sat 15-Oct-16 4:20:43 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101516-10546-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A2C0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF801E0BC6D90, 0x0, 0xFFFFCF845088F6A8)
    Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 15-Oct-16 4:20:43 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: kbdhid.sys (kbdhid+0x2F13)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF801E0BC6D90, 0x0, 0xFFFFCF845088F6A8)
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\kbdhid.sys
    description: HID Keyboard Filter Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 15-Oct-16 12:03:49 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101516-10343-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A2C0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF802C1353D90, 0x0, 0xFFFFE286714C03A8)
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12-Oct-16 7:12:54 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101216-10031-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A2B0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF802037EEE53, 0x0, 0x0)

On Wed 28-Sep-16 6:31:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092816-10359-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A0B0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFFF680000C4620, 0x20000000000, 0x0)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Mon 26-Sep-16 3:53:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092616-9968-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A0B0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41793, 0xFFFFCC800003AFF8, 0x200, 0x1FF)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

Thanks for reading, any advice is welcome :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have never seen keyboard driver errors before... do you have a standard keyboard or a gaming keyboard?

Your board has win 8 drivers, so I would use those at the very least if they available: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX/HelpDesk_Download/ as they should work on Win 10.

Nicashi

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

I have a gaming keyboard, a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. I've checked the drivers in the device manager and windows seems to think they're all up to date :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you got latest version of Synapse?

I am not sure I trust windows to be right about having latest versions, have a look at link and see if the driver versions installed on PC are newer than what Asus have to offer.

top 2 errors are the same one, whocrashed always duplicates 1st error though it normally has same file names too. Last 3 errors probably related. strange keyboard drivers start playing up randomly now, did you get a windows update this week? Perhaps it included drivers for razer, its impossible to tell for sure.

Synapse can do strange things, I had a Razer Blackwidow until a key stopped working, other people have had issues updating Synapse. They may make good hardware but their software is questionable.

Nicashi

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

Yeah, I've got the latest synapse. Good idea though. By the way, yesterday was the first time the BSOD was linked to my keyboard. Usually it's just a suspected unkown driver, and the BSOD'S are 80% of the time MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I'm tempted to downgrade to Windows 7 because I never had BSOD's on windows 7.

And yeah I have had several windows updates recently, maybe that's why I'm getting these new keyboard errors. But for the past 9 months or so I've been having fairly frequent blue screens.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would suggest you give us minidumps but the people who can read them haven't been around recently. I would suggest you follow posting instructions here and they will assist you much faster than I can and without the need to go back to win 7. I expect its a driver that is hiding behind ntsokrnl as usual.

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

Nicashi

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I realised that in my BIOS it was only showing 12232MB of RAM when i have 16GB installed. So i played around a bit with them swapping them around and it now shows 16GB of RAM. The weird thing is , is that Windows was telling me before that I had "16GB of RAM (11.9GB Usable)". So it could see the RAM there but wasnt able to use it. Maybe i had the RAM in the wrong sockets? I didnt know that was a thing. But yeah I hope this will fix the issue, the issues were kind of all memory related.