Mounting a 2.5" HDD vertically in my desktop?

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Hi all,

I have a 5 year old 2.5" HDD from a laptop which I would like to use in my desktop, but I keep finding old threads answering my question : can I mount it vertically? I have the Corsair 540 air with the SSD cage, where you mount the SSD's vertically

Also it's wrapped in an aluminum foil so it's not going in place completely. It's fixed and not moving but it's protruding from the SSD cage. Should I worry about it/take the aluminum foil off?

Thanks.

cilliers

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Yes, in fact, HDDs can be mounted in any way that is parallel or perpendicular to the earth's gravity, including upside down mounts.
When asked if the drive could be mounted at askew angles, some official OEM positions were:

Manufacturer Contact method Response
------- --------------------- ---------------------
WD Tech support, email 90 degrees.
Hitachi Hitachi documentation 90 degrees.
Samsung Tech support, phone 90 degrees.
Fujitsu Tech support, chat 90 degrees +-5.
Seagate Tech support, email 90 degrees preferred, but diagonal OK.
Maxtor Tech support, phone 90 degrees preferred, but in real world, whatever.

By 90 degrees, they mean vertical, horizontal, or sideways.

All lifted from here: http://www.howtogeek.com/128397/does-hard-drive-orientation-affect-its-lifespan/

USAFRet

Titan

This came out of a laptop? Possibly heat distribution, or electrical isolation from the other components in the case.

If a 2.5" drive has issues running vertically, millions of laptops all over the world would have died when the user put it in a backpack while is was still running.

I have that same case, and had a 2.5" laptop drive in it for a while. Zero problems.