Budget System Upgrade for: CS Uni Student, Game Developer, Gamer.

Akro MenToS

Honorable
Apr 12, 2015
System to be upgraded:
Processor: QuadCore Intel Core i5-2400, 3200 MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-PH67-DS3-B3
Graphics: -- I sold it when i got my laptop
Memory: 8GB Kingston 1333 MHz
Hard Disk Drive: 2x WDC green 1TB
SSD: Kingston 90GB
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335
Power supply: I can't tell for sure, i don't have the PC at hand, but I think it has a 500 W or a 550 W model.

Current system: (Lenovo Ideapad y510p, gt 755m SLI version)
Processor: 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT755M 2GB x 2 (SLI)
Memory: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Disk Drive: 1TB (5400 RPM) + 8GB Hybrid Drive
SSD: ADATA Premier SP600NS34 M.2 128GB

Approximate Purchase Date: in a month

Budget Range: I have approximately 100000 HUF ~ 360 $ for this upgrade, but if you recommend me not to upgrade rather sell my stuff and get a completely new one i'll consider it. I haven't completely decided what to do with that system and with my laptop.

System Usage:
Important: Game development (2d, 3d games), Web development, General Programming, gaming, 3d modelling,
Neutral: video editing

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: GPU, (CPU, RAM???)

Do you need to buy OS: No, I had a Win 7, which I upgraded to Win 10 on that computer, so I guess it is motherboard locked now.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
iPon is a Hungarian site, but has English available
Edigital is again a Hungarian site, it doesn't have English language, but you can search items by typing their name into the "Mit keresel?" field at the top of the page.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Intel, Nvidia

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No! I thought this will be the next big thing and hardly any game I would like to play supports it. And it doesn't benefit me at all when developing something either.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments:
Software i use: Unity3d, Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio, Autodesk Maya, Adobe Premiere Pro / Photoshop, Heroes of the Storm, TERA online
Usage: I usually have a lot of programs open. When i would like to play a quick match or something like that, I don't like to close programs I use to develop.

Why Are You Upgrading: My laptop is heavy so I don't carry it around with me to uni. It is really hot and loud. I have an old PC lying around here and I would like to resurrect it.

Parts: I thought about getting an Nvidia GTX 1060, would this be good with the system? Do i need a better CPU / RAM next to this? As i looked up, the CPU in my PC is better than the CPU in my laptop.

PS: Thanks in advance for your comments / advice, I really appreciate it! If I have forgotten anything or you need further information about me, the use of the system or anything else please ask for clearance.

Best Regards: AkroMenToS

Akro MenToS

Honorable
Apr 12, 2015
I've found out my PSU model. It is Chieftec GPS-600A8.
I think adding 8GB (2x4) RAM to it and a GTX 1060 will be the solution. As I checked the CPU is still powerful enough.
I am not sure if the PSU will run the new GPU.