Help me Choose a New 1440p Monitor

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
So to start this off I have decided it is time for me to move on from my 3 year old 24" 1080p display to a 27" 1440p monitor (Would have to be 60hz because of price). I have been looking around nonstop and there are so many choices and things to consider and would like your opinions on what to choose.

I would like to try and spend no more than $500 CDN. I want a 27" 1440p display with an IPS panel. It would most likely have to be 60hz the 144hz IPS monitors are way to expensive here. It will be used primarily for gaming and video/web browsing. (Everyday type things)
Also is Gsync truly worth the premium price tag?

I have narrowed my choice to two monitors

Asus PB278Q

BenQ GW2765HT

Also would you say it's worth it to shell out the extra cash to get a ROG PG279Q? The price seems kinda ridiculous.

And for the Asus monitor I know there is a newer version of the monitor with a better panel but I can't seem to find it, I don't know if newegg will ship the newer version or the old version with the PLS panel. So tell me if you know, or how I can find out.

Let me know what monitor you would recommend or if you have another one that I should take a look at. I'll also be buying a Evga GTX 1070 FTW along with the monitor.

Is there a specific time in the year when I should buy these parts or does it not really matter. They are at their lowest prices right now it seems, I compared and looked at the graphs on pcpartpicker.

When do monitors and GPUs usually go on sale, if ever? Is there a certain time or should I just buy them when they are low and don't wait around? That ROG would be fantastic if I could get it on sale, but the price in Canada is kind of insane for a monitor.

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

Majority of the use will be for gaming and general browsing/video watching. For the types of games I play it's all over the map, I play most genres. But I also do not play FPS/MOBA games competitively (ex. CSGO, LoL etc).