Thinking of buying a new computer as a birthday/Christmas gift and need some ideas.

TechHysteria

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
My current gaming computer is a custom build, had it for awhile and I'm thinking it's time that I upgraded. Thinking of going pre-built this time. My budget is $1K, a little over can be alright too. My parents are throwing in $250 towards whatever it is that I pick. The computer I would get would be a Christmas gift.

I found this rig and thought it looked pretty neat - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883272182&ignorebbr=1 that price-point is near perfect as well.

This rig is awesome looking as well, although it's a little pricier - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102241&ignorebbr=1

I'm basically going to use it for just general web browsing, watching media, gaming, basically recreation. With my configuration currently, my OS drive is a 320gb, and my other drive which I use for media is 1TB, and I still have a good amount of space left on it. Would like an SSD. My current card is a Nvidia GTX 960 4gb SC. It seems as if I can just take whatever card is in that one and just swap it out and put the card that I currently have installed in the computer I own right now, and just toss it into that computer. Are there any other good setups or good deals floating around that I should consider? I still have a lot of time yet to think about what I'm going to purchase. Also I really don't care if the computer is an i7, although if one can be found at a decent price point that would be awesome. As long as it's more than a dual core computer. My current computer is a quad-core with 8gb memory. It runs at 2.83ghz.

The biggest issue with pre-built gaming systems is that unless you can select your components, 95% of the time you will have a cheap low quality power supply in the thing. Aside from the extra cost you pay for assembly and other mark-up, if you want a pre-built, head directly to the vendor site and you should be able to select your exact components. No-one here would really recommend any pre-built system, but if you really want to go that way, make sure you can select a good power supply for it.

TechHysteria

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Ah ok, yeah i've went to a few vendor sites but they can all be a bit pricey at times. This one person whom I spoke to online was a computer engineer, so he basically just put parts together off of newegg for me. Awesome of him to do that. I told him my needs and he just gave me a part list. So I guess it looks like I'm going custom.