Three Monitors, Each w/Own Desktop/Image; Not One Desktop/Image Across Two or All Monitors

vVPP2W

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Hello,

I have Windows 7 Ultimate behind an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series graphics card. This particular graphics card, as many of you know, provides two (2) DVI ports, one (1) HDMI port and one (1) Display Port port. Also, I have installed the Radeon software (Crimson, 16.10.1). At the present time I have two monitors hooked up via DVI. This is working fine.

Now, I realize that I can use the Eyefinity software from Radeon to run three monitors, but all I can manage is to have either the first monitor with its own desktop and the second and third monitors to combine for a single image/desktop OR all three monitors combined into a single image/desktop.

What I want to have is, I guess, what is/used to be called "Extended Desktop" so that I can Maximize a window, if I want, so that it fills only one screen, not two or three.

Does anyone know if this can be done, either inside Eyefinity or not? I have searched for a resolution Internet-wide and haven't been able to find anything helpful.

I'm willing to install third-party software if that will do the trick.

If someone could even just point me to a site or something, I'd be grateful.

Thank you for your suggestions, and do let me know if there is any other information required.

vVPP2W

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
cCheeseCake,

Thanks for the post.

I suspected as much, but when I plug in (via DVI) the third monitor (the one NOT in use), it comes to life, with it's own desktop, while the second monitor goes dark (it's connected via DVI as well).

Then, when I revert to NOT using the third monitor, I get back to where I was. So I am unable to have three monitors up at the same time outside of the Eyefinity software.

So, just to be clear, I have three monitors. The first one (to my left) is connected via HDMI. The second monitor (in the middle) is connected via DVI. The third monitor (to my right) is NOT connected, but would be connected via DVI. When the third monitor is connected, the second monitor goes dark. When I disconnect the third monitor, the second monitor comes back up. (By the way, I presume that the HDMI-connected monitor has some sort of priority, as it stays on throughout. Is that true? And if so, is it because of the HDMI connection?)

Perhaps there's something I'm missing?

Thanks.

cCheeseCake

Honorable
Apr 8, 2015

have you tried "search for screen" in the windows settings? i'm not excactly sure what everything is called, as my windows is in norwegian.

vVPP2W

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I have gone into "Display" and then "Screen Resolution." There I can "Change the appearance of your displays." With two monitors running (any two) but all three monitors plugged in, Windows shows me the same thing: two monitors, both of which can be both detected and identified. When I plug in the third one, Windows identifies it as the second display: first by the big "2" on the screen when I click "Identify," and by the model of the display. The third monitor, as far as Windows is concerned, replaces monitor #2 with the third monitor, making IT monitor #2.

I hope that my writing isn't confusing.

Thanks.

vVPP2W

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I think I'll try and track down a fourth monitor. I'm not sure the problem is in Windows 7, but rather one of my monitors (Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW). It gets weird when I add another monitor....