Dual Boot Menu Has The Wrong OS Option.

nickakis

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
Hello, I have a HDD and I installed windows 10 and later on, I created a partition and installed windows 7. I ended up having a dual boot option. Everything was fine until I decided I no longer need windows 7 so I formated the partition and merged it back to the main one. After that the windows 7 option on the dual boot menu was still there (when I selected it there was an error, as expected). 2 weeks later I got bored of seeing it and tried to uninstall it with a programm called EasyBCD, on which I went to the boot options and deleted the windows 7 option. When I tried to shut-down my pc it would go to sleep mode instead of shutting down so I clicked the restart button only to find out that there was only one option in the boot menu and that was windows 7. I tried the repair tool from the windows 10 USB stick I have but nothing happened and it wouldn't find nothing to repair as there was only "windows 7". Any ideas how to fix this? (I can't format the disk cuz when I boot from the usb I can't format on my HDD due to an error saying something about MBR and how I can't install there. I also don't want to lose my files.) And no, I didn't by mistake deleted the windows 10 option on the program because when I tried it told me I can't.

You can recover your files by booting from a Linux DVD or flash drive. You can download Linux Mint from here: https://linuxmint.com/ .
As far as recovery is concerned, I make full system backups to an external hard drive so I can boot from my recovery disc and restore my system. This is a good example of one of the many reasons Windows users should do this.

Good luck.

nickakis

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for taking time to answer. Even if I recover the files what am I going to do with the HDD if I can't format it or have access on it... I mean... do I just keep it as a storage disk? I wish I had a second HDD to store them and format the other one using cmd but I dont. Any other ideas?